Go Down

Topic: Duemilanove or Uno, for programming bootloader into blank chips, etc (Read 14691 times) previous topic - next topic

VE7BDF

I appreciate the comments and will certainly order the pocket AVR programmer.  However, they are currently out of stock, so I am on the waiting list.

However, the USBtiny programmer came well recommended and arrived with both dongles built.  My background is electronics, but not software, which I am attempting to learn, so there were no problems constructing the USBtiny programmer.

I am currently rechecking all of the wiring between the programmer and the breadboard just to be certain that all is OK.

Thanks

Coding Badly

Other than the programmer, do you have anything connected to the target's SCK, MISO, or MOSI lines?

VE7BDF

I have double checked all of the wiring including the connections between the ZIP socket on the breadboard.  I am assuming that the 6 pun dongle on the USBtiny is OK and cetainly looks OK by inspection.  The plug orientations are also correct, both on the USBtiny and the breadboard.

Another check on the oscillator with the oscilloscope confirms correct operation of the 16 MHz oscillator.  Other than the oscillator, power and ground connections and USB tiny connections, there are no other connections to the 328P on the breadboard.

VE7BDF

It would appear that the wiring is OK, although I haven't yet checked to be certain that the USBtiny circuit board has any problems on it.  My assumption is that it is OK as the USBtiny does appear to be trying to communicate with the 328P.

I noticed that avrdude offers the option of changing the clocking and baud rate etc.  Any suggestions as to what changes could or should be tried?

CrossRoads

Blank chips need to be slow speed the first time, can be higher speed after that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Coding Badly

I noticed that avrdude offers the option of changing the clocking and baud rate etc.  Any suggestions as to what changes could or should be tried?

Leave it alone.

By "clocking" I mean the target's clocking.  If you have switched the clocking to an external source, then a clock signal has to be present on XTAL1.  For the vast majority of applications this means a crystal+capacitors or a resonator.  Your oscilloscope test indicates that clocking is very likely not the problem.

VE7BDF

Yes, I realized that but was thinking about reducing the baud rate using avrdude. Any suggestions?

Coding Badly

what about the blank Atmega 328p processor?

Blank?  As in unaltered from the factory?

By USBtiny, do you mean this...
http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/

Earlier, we were trying to get Arduino ISP working correctly.  Now, we are trying to get a USBtinyISP working correctly.  Correct?

Coding Badly

Yes, I realized that but was thinking about reducing the baud rate using avrdude. Any suggestions?

The baud rate determines the speed at which avrdude communicates with the programmer.  As long as the two are communicating (and they appear to be) then you should leave the baud rate as it is.

VE7BDF

I decided to see what I could do with the USBtiny programmer as I'm not certain what else can be done using the Arduino board.  I felt that more information was provided using avrdude and the USBtiny programmer but am open to anything that might work to solve the problem, particularly since the Pocket AVR programmer is not currently available.

alah

To disable the auto reset a 10uF (or larger up to say 100uF)  elecrolytic capacitor between reset and ground
works better than the brute force and ignorance resistor method.

VE7BDF

Thanks for the suggestions using the capacitor.  I have tried several capacitor values without success and my checks using a USBtiny programmer and avrdude appear to indicate that the programmer and the Arduino board are not communicating with the 328P.
I have been busy but will try a couple more things today and post the results.

VE7BDF

I was concerned that the USBtiny programmer was not communicating with the 328P or the Arduino board so decided to use the USBtiny programmer with avrdude.  I chose this process as tests using the Arduino board didn't provide very much information unless I am missing something.  The results are as attached and after viewing the results, the only possible problem I could see was the line: "avrdude:programmer operation not supported."  I'm not certain what this means.

Go Up