Go Down

Topic: Chromebook Linux IDE Installation (Read 156 times) previous topic - next topic

johnfarmer

No arduino board yet. Just trying to get the IDE installed on my Chrome Pixelbook.
I turned on Linux.
I downloaded the latest linux64.tar.xz but not into my Linux file structure.
Unzipped using Wicked Good Unarchiver
Moved the subsequent arduino top folder and everything under it to home/my user name (took 4 hours ???)
ran install.sh
Ran Linux update/upgrade (maybe should have done this earlier but didn't know about it)
I now have an Arduino IDE icon in Chrome but when I click on it nothing happens. First time after a reboot it spins for a bit but then goes away.
I loaded a picture editing app in Linux and it works fine when I click on the icon.
I am not sure where I should have unzipped the xz file in the first place or where the IDE should be installed.
I thought maybe I should uninstall and try again but I cant find any instructions for that. I don't want to just delete the ardrino folder and leave all the support files scattered around.

I am a retired engineer who worked with unix and programming decades ago -a bit rusty to say the least.

Thanks in advance for any help.

pert

The officially supported way to use Arduino on ChromeOS is the Arduino Create Chrome App for the cloud-based Arduino Web Editor:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/arduino-create/dcgicpihgkmccjigalccipmjlnjopdfe

I don't have any experience with using the Arduino IDE on a Chrome OS machine, but I do have a link that might provide some useful information to you:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=554826

As an alternative to that approach, there is also an arduino_ide package in chromebrew.

I now have an Arduino IDE icon in Chrome but when I click on it nothing happens.
Please do this:
  • Start a terminal in the Arduino IDE installation folder
  • Type ./arduino
  • Press Enter.
  • Wait for the Arduino IDE to finish starting, or failing to start.
  • Switch back to the terminal window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  • Click and drag the mouse to select all the output in the terminal window.
  • Press Ctrl + c. This will copy the selected text to the clipboard.
  • In this Arduino forum thread, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply, making it easier for us to read.
  • Press Ctrl + V. This will paste the output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  • Click the "Post" button.

The terminal output will often provide some information that's useful for troubleshooting a crash on startup.

pert

Moved the subsequent arduino top folder and everything under it to home/my user name (took 4 hours ???)
What is the full path of the installation folder? You mention the "/home/<my user name>" part, but I'm guessing it's in a folder under that path, so what is that folder name?

sterretje

No experience with ChromeBook.

In Linux, I would navigate to the directory where the application is installed in a terminal window and run the executable from there and check the output.

I haven't worked with Linux for a while, so can't tell you what the executable is or what to expect.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

johnfarmer

What is the full path of the installation folder? You mention the "/home/<my user name>" part, but I'm guessing it's in a folder under that path, so what is that folder name?
farmerjd28@penguin:~$ pwd
/home/farmerjd28
farmerjd28@penguin:~$ ls
arduino-1.8.13  Desktop  Documents  Downloads
farmerjd28@penguin:~$ ls arduino-1.8.13
arduino          arduino-linux-setup.sh  hardware    java  libraries  revisions.txt  tools-builder
arduino-builder  examples                install.sh  lib   reference  tools          uninstall.sh
farmerjd28@penguin:~$ 

pert

OK, that should be fine. If you had installed the IDE at $HOME/Arduino then that would cause a crash because $HOME/Arduino is the default sketchbook location and you're not permitted to have the IDE installed in the sketchbook, but you have it installed at $HOME/arduino-1.8.13 so that's not the cause of the crash.

So go ahead and run /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino from the command line and then post the output.

I haven't worked with Linux for a while, so can't tell you what the executable is or what to expect.
It's a Bash script named "arduino":
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/1.8.13/build/linux/dist/arduino

johnfarmer

Nov 22, 2020, 11:34 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020, 06:50 am by johnfarmer Reason: moved code within brackets
Please do this:
  • Start a terminal in the Arduino IDE installation folder
  • Type ./arduino
  • Press Enter.
  • Wait for the Arduino IDE to finish starting, or failing to start.
  • Switch back to the terminal window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  • Click and drag the mouse to select all the output in the terminal window.
  • Press Ctrl + c. This will copy the selected text to the clipboard.
  • In this Arduino forum thread, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply, making it easier for us to read.
  • Press Ctrl + V. This will paste the output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  • Click the "Post" button.

The terminal output will often provide some information that's useful for troubleshooting a crash on startup.
Thanks, I didn't get too far in your suggested list of actions. Too much I still am trying to figure out.

Code: [Select]
farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ pwd
/home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13
farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ ls
arduino          arduino-linux-setup.sh  hardware    java  libraries  revisions.txt  tools-builder
arduino-builder  examples                install.sh  lib   reference  tools          uninstall.sh
farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ sudo ./arduino
sudo: ./arduino: command not found

johnfarmer

Nov 22, 2020, 11:48 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020, 06:51 am by johnfarmer Reason: Moved code within brackets
So go ahead and run /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino from the command line and then post the output.
Here are various attempts -Thanks!
farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino
-bash: /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino: Permission denied
farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ sudo /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino
sudo: /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino: command not found
farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ sudo bash /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino
/home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino: line 35: /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/java/bin/java: Permission denied

johnfarmer

I did a chmod to add execute privileges to the Java file it was complaining about. reran with the following results.
Something fundamentally messed up with my permissions or ?. How would I clean it all up?

Thanks again!

farmerjd28@penguin:~/arduino-1.8.13$ sudo bash /home/farmerjd28/arduino-1.8.13/arduino
No protocol specified
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:
Set log4j store directory /root/.arduino15
No protocol specified
java.awt.AWTError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:65)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:115)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:74)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:103)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:82)
        at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:126)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
        at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:860)
        at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:855)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:854)
        at java.awt.SystemColor.updateSystemColors(SystemColor.java:473)
        at java.awt.SystemColor.<clinit>(SystemColor.java:465)
        at processing.app.Theme.init(Theme.java:343)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:250)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:150)

Go Up