Go Down

Topic: Arduino Medical Bracelet Equipment  (Read 245 times) previous topic - next topic

yaserodat

I will make a medical bracelet which measures heart pulses rate, if the rate goes to a dangerous level, the bracelet should call the ambulance and send the user's location using GPS, could you please tell me all the equipment which I need? does this project need an android app?

srnet

Automatically call an ambulance ?

Bad idea for a hobby device.
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

alexoort

As @srnet mentioned, calling an ambulance is a seriously bad idea. However, you could make the device call a friend or an emergency contact.

If you want to do this, you will at least need:
  • Arduino (preferably lilypad, as you can embroid it)
  • Heart rate sensor
  • GPS module
  • GSM module

No, the project does not necessarily need an android app. However, to avoid having to use a GSM and GPS module, you may be able to make an Android app that connects to the Arduino via Bluetooth, and that makes the phone itself call the emergency contact.

Kind regards, 
Alex

6v6gt

Nov 22, 2020, 02:32 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 02:33 pm by 6v6gt
In the real world, the sort of candidate for a device such as you are describing, may not have the discipline to keep the batteries charged and would not be able to do any of its configuration (alarm thresholds, recipient of alarm messages etc.). Also power consumption of its components would be an issue to be addressed at some point.

I guess, though, that this is some sort of "proof of concept" project where that sort of optimisation including miniaturisation and power consumption could be dealt with in a later project.

You may have difficulty finding a GSM module compatible with the mobile services in your area. GSM 2G is being phased out in a lot of places and replacement modules are not very common. Then one of your options  (as already mentioned) is to use Bluetooth on the bracelet paired with an Android phone nearby for the automatic alarm message. Anyway, for all the configuration parameters mentioned previously, an Android application could be useful.

jremington

Nov 22, 2020, 06:16 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 06:17 pm by jremington
The Arduino and the parts on Arduino boards are not allowed by law for use in medical devices.

CrossRoads

"not allowed by law" I think that is overstating it.

The datasheet merely says "Use of Microchip
devices in life support and/or safety applications is entirely at
the buyer's risk, and the buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and
hold harmless Microchip from any and all damages, claims,
suits, or expenses resulting from such use."
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

6v6gt

"not allowed by law" I think that is overstating it.

The datasheet merely says "Use of Microchip
devices in life support and/or safety applications is entirely at
the buyer's risk, and the buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and
hold harmless Microchip from any and all damages, claims,
suits, or expenses resulting from such use."
Of course. And it is a correct answer to the post you were quoting.
But most people can see that the ideas being discussed are a long way from a commercial product and that it is more of an educational exercise. If it ever gets that far (to the commercial product phase), then let the lawyers voice their opinion on all that stuff: Product liability, intellectual property, scope of licence agreement etc. etc.
In the meantime, let's allow the OP to consider the pure technical aspects of the project.
Anyway, the legal aspects are not universal and dependent on the particular jurisdiction in which the end product is used and this forum is read across the globe.

jremington

Nov 22, 2020, 09:15 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 09:22 pm by jremington
What the data sheet says and what the law says are not necessarily related. At least in my country, medical and medical emergency devices have to be certified according to law for most applications.

Of course, for a student learning project, for demonstration only, no one would object. But it would be an extremely bad idea to outfit one's grandparents with a home made device that calls an ambulance every time it malfunctions.

CrossRoads

Nov 22, 2020, 09:27 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 09:37 pm by CrossRoads
A "device" is a collection of components.  So the individual components wouldn't undergo certification, but the assembled/programmed/tested would.

Atmel datasheets used to have this kind of wording, so approval could be obtained:

SAFETY-CRITICAL, MILITARY, AND AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS DISCLAIMER: Atmel products are not designed for and will not be used in connection with any applications where the failure of such products would reasonably be expected to result in significant personal injury or death ("Safety-Critical Applications") without an Atmel officer's specific written
consent.
Safety-Critical Applications include, without limitation, life support devices and systems, equipment or systems for the operation of nuclear facilities and weapons systems.
Atmel products are not designed nor intended for use in military or aerospace applications or environments unless specifically designated by Atmel as military-grade.

I haven't  found the same in any Microchip datasheets.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

jremington

Nov 22, 2020, 09:53 pm Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 09:54 pm by jremington
@OP: consider instead making a dog collar that would call you if your dog wanders off by more than a set distance from your location.

TomGeorge

Nov 23, 2020, 12:13 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020, 12:13 pm by TomGeorge
Hi,

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

yaserodat

Automatically call an ambulance ?

Bad idea for a hobby device.
It's just for my graduation project, I'm not gonna really call an ambulance 

yaserodat

As @srnet mentioned, calling an ambulance is a seriously bad idea. However, you could make the device call a friend or an emergency contact.

If you want to do this, you will at least need:
  • Arduino (preferably lilypad, as you can embroid it)
  • Heart rate sensor
  • GPS module
  • GSM module

No, the project does not necessarily need an android app. However, to avoid having to use a GSM and GPS module, you may be able to make an Android app that connects to the Arduino via Bluetooth, and that makes the phone itself call the emergency contact.

Kind regards,
Alex
Can I replace GSM with ESP? does ESP need an android app?

yaserodat

Hi,

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom... :)
I know C++, I don't have any experience with Arduino, it's the first time I make an Arduino project, I don't think it's very hard, is it?

alexoort

Can I replace GSM with ESP? does ESP need an android app?
You could replace the GSM with an ESP32, which has Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) functionality. In this case, you would need an android app that would connect to the ESP and makes the necessary calls (not to an ambulance though). 
However, the ESP32 is quite large, so you may have some problems fitting it on your wrist.
Kind regards, 
Alex

Go Up