Go Down

Topic: 1HP Stepper/Servo-Motor with encoder controlled by Arduino ? (Read 170 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello!

I am looking for some informations, to decide if my project could be makeable. Would be very thankful  if I could get some infos here ;)

Arduino - Stepper/Servo-Control - Engine - Mechanic

The Idea is to control a press (up/down-stroke to endstops) via gearbox (or gears and belt) and know about the values, controle the movement, emergency stops by torque-control.

Reference:
- move slowly back until the mechanical stop is pushed, the torque increases fast. set the encoder to a lower-position
- move slowly forward until the mechanical stop is pushed, the torque increases fast. set the upper-position
- move back to lower-position
- move forward to start-position (value) by encoder

Run:
- move fast forward until 2/3 of movement then reduce speed
- move until upper-position - if torque increases too fast - stop
- backward until lower-position
- forward until start-position
- again

What do you think ?
Controlled should be the movement, ampere, torque (if possible), dynamics.

What I need is
- which engine-type (stepper/servo)-
- which controler
- SW / Library to control the engine

The final power is not as important than the makeability.
First I would like to have a very cheap and not powerful version to test just if  I get it done and the big project could be achieved. That I think, will be my way to get it done, if not the invest was low.

Similar to for example a Siemens S7 Servo.

:o :) :)

something like this for arduino fully controlabel?
https://www.ebay.at/itm/254386779711

https://www.amazon.de/Treiber-Closed-Loop-Stepper-Servomotor-Fr%C3%A4smaschine/dp/B078KKH35H/ref=asc_df_B078KKH35H/?tag=googshopde-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=380187446368&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4244503012022460394&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062721&hvtargid=pla-811050918856&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=84387571184&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=380187446368&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4244503012022460394&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062721&hvtargid=pla-811050918856

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07PW4332P/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07PW4332P&pd_rd_w=1tpXJ&pf_rd_p=403c666b-0b30-4f66-afde-0388ffdf2c39&pd_rd_wg=hGIF3&pf_rd_r=CNTTZGMAZTC6T7EJPZ9A&pd_rd_r=a1d9ae07-b212-4e2f-b7ab-5b13d908a030&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQksxR1YwQ1BKVjlVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ4OTU4M0Q3MlFESDdJSTBRUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTg2NjQ1RVJVTEdVM1cyMEtCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Robin2

To a large extent the choice of motor is of no concern to the Arduino because it only interfaces with the motor driver.

If you want more advice you need to post a link to the datasheet for the motor driver you are proposing to use.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Is there a library that has a full control on stepper / servo ?
Actually I did not find a driver with feedback (current, voltage, error, torque?)

Alternative, just a feedback of "overcurrent", the mechanical ends by an activated switch.
the overcurrent is needed, if something went wrong, the machine would damage itselfe or the peace.

Robin2

Is there a library that has a full control on stepper / servo ?
That depends on what you mean by "full control"

Actually I did not find a driver with feedback (current, voltage, error, torque?)

Alternative, just a feedback of "overcurrent", the mechanical ends by an activated switch.
the overcurrent is needed, if something went wrong, the machine would damage itselfe or the peace.
Stepper motors don't generally need over-current protection (assuming the stepper motor driver is properly adjusted to the correct current for the motor). Unlike a DC motor the current does not really vary with load.

You could use a rotary encoder to monitor whether the motor misses steps - but if it does, there is not much you can do about except abort the job. The better approach is to choose a motor with sufficient torque so it does not miss steps.

I have no experience of industrial servo motors. These are expensive devices so I assume all the necessary details are available from the manufacturers.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

OK, I think I understand, full control of dynamic and physics is not possible.

Alternative is to have switches at the ends and encoder to check movement.

So I need a driver and stepper motor, the driver must provide encoder position to arduino. correct?

Robin2

OK, I think I understand, full control of dynamic and physics is not possible.
As you still have not explained what you mean by "full control" I cannot comment.

Alternative is to have switches at the ends and encoder to check movement.
That is a very common feature

So I need a driver and stepper motor, the driver must provide encoder position to arduino. correct?
Normally the encoder is entirely separate from the driver - unless you buy the sort of expensive motor/driver package that has an encoder included. In general the only purpose of the driver is to advance the motor by one step every time it receives a pulse from the Arduino.

...R

what is full control of dynamic....  :smiley-wink:
speed, acceleration, deceleration, jerk... min/max... etc.
settings, the best would be a library that can provide a full axis control
but I did not finde something like that and I think this is too much for arduino?
what about a CNC oder 3D printer, they must have a full axis control.

For the start I am asking what ist the Maximum of Control I can get here?
poor forward/backward/stop or more control of the movement?

All the drivers for steppers do not provide what I am looking for, or I didn`t finde the right one now.
That means I need to go to the next level using frequency inverter and servo engine.
But that would be a bit too much for my poor machine.
Looking for a compromise to get the machine done by not overshooting electronics and software.

Please help by finding the soft and hardware to establish a test setup to lern and optimize.

Alternative:
like a 3D Printer /CNC machine, how does it work
HW: Arduino Mega, Arduino Motor Shield, Nema 17 Motor
SW: AccelStepper ?
how do I get startet, I need the first kick of to find a line....

THX

Robin2

what is full control of dynamic.... 
speed, acceleration, deceleration, jerk... min/max... etc
Maybe the GRBL program that is used for controlling small CNC machines has what you need?

All the drivers for steppers do not provide what I am looking for,
You don't make it easy to help when you make that sort of general statement. What are you looking for? What features do the drivers you have looked at have and what features are missing?

The driver has virtually no role in dynamic (or any other sort of) control. It's just a dumb device that makes steps happen.

Maybe you should make contact with one of the industrial servo manufacturers and explain your requirement to them. As I said earlier I have no knowledge of what those servos can and can't do.

...R

Go Up