Go Down

Topic: Why are these best practices for using LED strips/rings (WS2812) (Read 603 times) previous topic - next topic

mrbestdeni

While it might be a convenience to use this because the 5 V supply has a mini or micro USB connector, the proper way is to use an adapter board to break out the 5 V power and connect that both to the board via its "5V" pin and the LED strip.
Alright, so I have this adapter board now. And I read all your guys' concerns about me using a microcontroller as a power supply. I understand now and I did understand that. I was just curious (as I said) how a person In another project (that I linked to in my last post) was able to use his as a power supply...
Anyways, I'm now curious, having this adapter board, can I now directly connect things as seen in the picture. The red thing is my WS2812 24bit LED ring.
The images

The green wire is connected to an aluminum touchpad and yes, I know that I don't have a 3.3V to 5V LLC, but that's not my question right now. I'm interested to know if this setup is good now, and whether or not I can program my ESP32 by connecting the D+ and D- to something on the board? Like RX and TX? I read it can't be connected because I would need for the Data to pass through the CP2102. So can I unsolder the current female microUSB port and maybe solder the D+ and D- directly? What's a better solution.

Thank you for all your help so far.

SteveMann

I have told you before the data sheet says no such thing. If you disagree post the bit of the data sheet to prove your statement.
I am wondering also where I got the 2.7V figure. The input voltage is 0.7*Vdd, or 3.5V.

But it works fine here on 3.3V logic.
Fritzing pictures are NOT schematics. I don't speak Fritzing.

Please do not ask for help by PM. I will not respond. If you need help, post a question on the appropriate forum.

Click on Add Karma if I helped you.

Grumpy_Mike

I am wondering also where I got the 2.7V figure. The input voltage is 0.7*Vdd, or 3.5V.

But it works fine here on 3.3V logic.

Did you get it from driving the LEDs at a lower voltage than 5V? I agree it normally works, but plenty of threads here show a level shifter is often a cure as to why it doesn't work.

Paul__B

Actually, looking at what you have, if you wish to program the ESP in situ, rather than connecting D+ and D- to the matching points on the ESP board, it would really be simpler just to forget the breakout board and bridge out D1 so that the USB socket connects directly to "Vin".  I presume for a relatively small number of LEDs, the traces on the ESP board would be sufficient to carry the current, the diode was the major concern (and it actually looks like a rather large one!)

I liked this video on the imgur page.  :smiley-lol:

SteveMann

Did you get it from driving the LEDs at a lower voltage than 5V? I agree it normally works, but plenty of threads here show a level shifter is often a cure as to why it doesn't work.
I am using 12V strings with a built-in voltage divider, but the WS chip is still a 5V device.  As I said before, if the first LED is more than a couple of meters from the ESP, then I use an LS244 driver.

Please do not ask for help by PM. I will not respond. If you need help, post a question on the appropriate forum.

SteveMann

Actually, looking at what you have, if you wish to program the ESP in situ, rather than connecting D+ and D- to the matching points on the ESP board, it would really be simpler just to forget the breakout board and bridge out D1 so that the USB socket connects directly to "Vin".  I presume for a relatively small number of LEDs, the traces on the ESP board would be sufficient to carry the current, the diode was the major concern (and it actually looks like a rather large one!)
Or use OTA (ArduinoOTA.h).

mrbestdeni

it would really be simpler just to forget the breakout board and bridge out D1 so that the USB socket connects directly to "Vin".  I presume for a relatively small number of LEDs, the traces on the ESP board would be sufficient to carry the current, the diode was the major concern
So you're saying that I don't need the breakout board at all? Even though everyone said: "The ESP32 is not a power supply" and that I shouldn't connect the LEDs directly to it...? The LEDs technically draw 1.44 Amps when on full brightness and on white, would the traces on the ESP board be sufficient enough to carry that?

mrbestdeni

Or use OTA (ArduinoOTA.h).
Can I use OTA if I plan to give the other lamp to a friend who's on a college WiFi, I'm pretty sure it would be hard to access the IP the ESP32 would be on if it's a college WiFi. I might be wrong though!

Go Up