Need help with a project

Not sure how or what parts need for the project.

Project requirements:

1. I need a system that will start a 12vDC motor using a 6v signal from a receiver.

2. The receiver supply a 6v DC current for a 1/2 of second and than return to zero volts. (Garmin Pro Control 2 receiver)

3. The motor will need to continue running until it hit a limit switch at the top.

4. When i push the receiver button again, I need for the motor to travel in the reverse direction and stop at the bottom again using a limit switch.

5. I have a the following parts

Arduino UNO
L289N HAT
2x limit switch
12v DC motor

Where do i go from here with coding and other parts need for this project

Perhaps just using:

2 x Arduino Pro-Minis
2 x nRF24L01 modules
2 x limits switches
12v DC motor (not sure how or what the motor is moving?)
code

1 set of Arduino Pro-Mini and nRF24L01 is the transmitter and the other set of Arduino Pro-Mini and nRF24L0 is the receiver

You will probably need more hardware to ensure the motor connection is secure and compatible with the +5v system (being you said its a 12x DC motor) many posts and diagrams around here that talk about the capacitors and diodes to use to handle motor power surges..etc.. when starting and stopping.

I'm not familiar with the L289N HAT myself... but the H-Bridge should allow you to control the directions by toggling the control pins I thought? (so again.. just code?)

Most of the code (IMO) will be on the receiver Pro-Mini.. just interpreting any incoming 'commands' from the transmitter

What is the stall current of the motor?

Are you aware that the ancient L298 drops 2 to over 4 volts of the motor power supply? That is dissipated as waste heat.

The 6V signal will need to be reduced to less than Vcc of your Arduino board before being applied to an input. A resistor voltage divider would work for that.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

What is the overall application?

Do you need feedback to tell the operator if the up or down activity has been accomplished?
You will need to code in some safety checks, such as timing the up or down movement so if the limit switch is not activated within a certain time, the system shuts down.
Even telling the operator that the system is responding may be needed.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your input.
a. Yes, i did know the H-bridge does drop by 2 volts
b. Will need to find the stall current
c. I like the idea of using the Arduino Pro-Mini and nRF24L01

I now have some starting point for coding and hardware.

FYI i have picture of the device I'm try to building

rshaw99167:
2. The receiver supply a 6v DC current for a 1/2 of second and than return to zero volts. (Garmin Pro Control 2 receiver)

If you already have a working receiver I don't understand why you might need nRF24 wireless modules.

You will need a voltage divider to reduce the output from the receiver below the 5v max that an Arduino can take.

...R

PS ... In case you really do need the nRF24 modules this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may help

Thanks Robin2

"You will need a voltage divider to reduce the output from the receiver below the 5v max that an Arduino can take."

This helps alot. Did not want to go the route of the nRF24 . as i already have tx/rc device from a vendor

I'm newbie

Ron

If you already have the transmitter/receiver.. you should have noted that specifically in stead of something called 6v)
I see no details on 'receiver' in your current parts list.

1. I have a the following parts:

Arduino UNO
L289N HAT
2x limit switch
12v DC motor

Where do i go from here with coding and other parts need for this project