Go Down

Topic: Mac OS X usbmodem ports missing? (Read 28300 times) previous topic - next topic

A_Gamer

Sep 06, 2011, 09:47 pm Last Edit: Sep 06, 2011, 10:12 pm by A_Gamer Reason: 1
I just picked up my first Arduino Mega 2560 the other day. Hooked it up to my Mac Pro and made my first sketch - basically a blinking pattern with the onboard pin 13 LED (tinkered with the simple Blink example a bit).

Today, I go to tinker with it some more, and the long list of serial ports is gone, and only 4 bluetooth options are there (cu.Bluetooth-Modem, cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync, tty.Bluetooth-Modem, tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync).

The Mega is still running my sketch both when plugged into the USB cable as well as when powered via the battery pack (8xAA). I tried launching the Arduino program with and without the hardware connected. I tried several different USB ports (all of which work with USB flash drive, mouse, kbd, etc), and still no joy. I even tried re-booting the Mac to no avail.

If I try to upload my new sketch using the current settings, I get the following error message in a dialog box:
Serial port /dev/tty.usbmodem1d11 not found. Retry the upload with another serial port?

And, it shows me the option to pick one of the Bluetooth choices listed above.

If I try to launch the Serial Monitor (which launched just fine yesterday), I get the following error message below the current sketch:
Serial port '/dev/tty.usbmodem1d11' not found.  Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?

Not sure what to try next. It seems that the Mega is working just fine, but for some reason the Mac USB/modem drivers/definitions are gone?

EDIT: borrowed my wife's Vista laptop and installed the software/drivers and I am able to load sketches to the Mega just fine. So, it appears that the board and cable are fine. And, since the various USB ports work just fine for other USB devices on the Mac Pro, it appears to be a driver/software issue.

Any Mac users know how to get the usbmodem options back?

EDIT 2: realized I didn't include what my Mac is running...
Mac Pro (2x Quad-Core Intel Xenon)
Mac OS X v10.6.8 (all updates current)
More than enough RAM and HDD space
No Bluetooth (as far as I am aware)

cmiyc

Does the board show up in System Profilier when the board is attached (and no other hardware was attached)?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

A_Gamer

Sep 06, 2011, 11:37 pm Last Edit: Sep 07, 2011, 04:11 am by A_Gamer Reason: 1

Does the board show up in System Profilier when the board is attached (and no other hardware was attached)?

I don't think so. But, I am not sure where to look?

It does not show in USB (shows kbd/mouse/flashdrive) or Modems (empty).

I also don't see anything in system.log or error_log when I plug in the board or remove it. The board powers normally and runs the current sketch (now modified to use a toggle switch to change the blink frequency via my wife's Vista laptop).

I do see some stuff in system.log when I launch the Arduino program:
Sep  6 16:23:09 MacPro [0x0-0x6a06a].cc.arduino.Arduino[810]: [JavaAppLauncher] Requested [1.5*], launching in [1.6] instead.
Sep  6 16:23:11 MacPro [0x0-0x6a06a].cc.arduino.Arduino[810]: Stable Library
Sep  6 16:23:11 MacPro [0x0-0x6a06a].cc.arduino.Arduino[810]: =========================================
Sep  6 16:23:11 MacPro [0x0-0x6a06a].cc.arduino.Arduino[810]: Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Sep  6 16:23:11 MacPro [0x0-0x6a06a].cc.arduino.Arduino[810]: Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

Also, none of the usbmodem files are in the /dev/ listing (no usb or modem either):
MacPro:/ A_Gamer$ ls -la /dev/ | grep usb
MacPro:/ A_Gamer$ ls -la /dev/ | grep modem
MacPro:/ A_Gamer$ ls -la /dev/ | grep usbmodem
MacPro:/ A_Gamer$

Not sure what you mean by no other hardware attached. The Mega is 'empty'. Other than the push/pull switch I just added to pin 12/gnd/5v, it has nothing else attached. The Mac has USB mouse and keyboard. I removed the flash drive just in case, but that was connected yesterday when it worked.

cmiyc

I don't think so. But, I am not sure where to look?

Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> "More Info..." -> USB

(now modified to use a toggle switch to change the blink frequency via my wife's Vista laptop).

Was this toggle switch wired before you started having problems?  How is it wired?  Are you using pull-up or pull-down resistors?

I do see some stuff in system.log when I launch the Arduino program:

If the OS is not reporting the device when attached, it doesn't really matter what the Arduino IDE sees.  The IDE just asks the OS for what serial ports are available.

Also, none of the usbmodem files are in the /dev/ listing (no usb or modem either):

Just to clarify, the Arduino will only appear in /dev/ when it is attached.  Are you looking when it is attached?

Not sure what you mean by no other hardware attached. The Mega is 'empty'. Other than the push/pull switch I just added to pin 12/gnd/5v, it has nothing else attached.

The Mega doesn't come with a push/pull switch, so that would be considered "hardware that is attached."  How is this switch connected?

It is common for OSX to disable power to a USB port (or a port a known offending device is attached) when a short is present from that device.  So depending on these switches you've mentioned are setup, you might be causing the port to shut down.  (Though, OSX is usually very good about giving a warning before doing so.)  In some cases, I've had to do a power-cycle before I could use the device again.  Keeping in mind, if you power cycle and the device is still drawing too much current, you are just repeating the same mistake.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

A_Gamer

Sep 07, 2011, 03:59 am Last Edit: Sep 07, 2011, 06:43 pm by A_Gamer Reason: 1
Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> "More Info..." -> USB

Nope. Not there. Tried several ports.

(now modified to use a toggle switch to change the blink frequency via my wife's Vista laptop).

Was this toggle switch wired before you started having problems?  How is it wired?  Are you using pull-up or pull-down resistors?

I had not added the switch when I first tried it on the Mac today. So, when the problem first manifested itself there was nothing on the board. Once I got things working on the Vista laptop I went ahead and started tinkering with it again, and then added the switch.

If the OS is not reporting the device when attached, it doesn't really matter what the Arduino IDE sees.  The IDE just asks the OS for what serial ports are available.

I figured as much. But since I just started tinkering with this yesterday, I figured I would cover all the bases.

Just to clarify, the Arduino will only appear in /dev/ when it is attached.  Are you looking when it is attached?

Again, I thought so... And, I was checking it both connected and not.

Not sure what you mean by no other hardware attached. The Mega is 'empty'. Other than the push/pull switch I just added to pin 12/gnd/5v, it has nothing else attached.

The Mega doesn't come with a push/pull switch, so that would be considered "hardware that is attached."  How is this switch connected?

The switch is a push/pull button switch. So, when in the "up" position it is connecting GND to PIN12, and when in the 'down' position it is connecting 5v to PIN12 (i.e. the switch has 3 wires). I am assuming that I would only need a pull-up/pull-down resistor to deal with the possible split second of noise between switch positions?

I any case, the switch works. The sketch currently loaded correctly fades the LED on PIN13 on and off depending on the state of the switch. And, the Mega connects and downloads just fine when connected to the Vista laptop. So, I don't think it has anything to do with the Mega or the switch.

It is common for OSX to disable power to a USB port (or a port a known offending device is attached) when a short is present from that device.  So depending on these switches you've mentioned are setup, you might be causing the port to shut down.  (Though, OSX is usually very good about giving a warning before doing so.)  In some cases, I've had to do a power-cycle before I could use the device again.  Keeping in mind, if you power cycle and the device is still drawing too much current, you are just repeating the same mistake.

Well, the Mega continues to get power on any of the ports I connect it to (with or without the switch). When connected to the Mac via the USB cable (no external power supply), the Mega boots up and runs the loaded sketch. So, it seems that the USB hardware level is not offended. The issue is that the Mac OS does not notice it come (or go)?

The port I originally connected the Mega to (on the front of the Mac Pro) still worked fine with a USB flash drive even before I started trying other USB ports. Since then I have tried the device several of the USB ports on the Mac Pro, so if the Mega had offended those ports, you would think they would still be disabled? But mouse, keyboard, flash drive, iPhone and scanner continue to work just fine on those various ports (whew).

I didn't however completely power cycle the Mac. I simply rebooted it since I assumed it was a software/driver issue. If the Mac OS was offended by the Mega for some reason and is therefor ignoring the specific device (regardless of the port), then perhaps a power cycle will rectify it? Sadly, I can't power cycle the Mac right now, so I won't know until tomorrow if that will fix it.

Thanks for your response. At least I know it wasn't something silly like hitting the reset button on the Mega (which I did try, btw).

EDIT: Connected it to the USB port on the keyboard (Keyboard Hub in the System Profiler) and it did the whole 'New hardware' thing and is working properly now. But, only when connected through the keyboard. Still no joy when connected directly to the USB ports on the Mac itself.

I have no idea what could have caused the issue, other than perhaps the Mega was sitting on something that caused a short/load that the Mac didn't like. Next step (before any more tinkering) is to mount the Mega on something so that it isn't sitting directly on the desk. I know... Tsk, tsk, tsk.

EDIT2: Power cycled the Mac this morning and sure enough the Mega is now working properly on the front USB port again (and I assume the various other ports, too).

Thanks for the tip.

mattiie

I've had the same problem I have understood that the source of the problem is that if something is plugged in 5v arduino pin, the device isn't be recognized so..
unplug all from arduino and reconnect it. cu.usbmodem*** will reappear

cmiyc

I've had the same problem I have understood that the source of the problem is that if something is plugged in 5v arduino pin, the device isn't be recognized so..

No, not quite true.

This would only make sense if 1) that device is providing 5V and causing an issue with the Vusb supply.  or 2) So much current is being drawn, that the USB port is shutting down. 

In either case, those are the real problems.  Something "simply being plugged in 5v" isn't a reason by itself for the board to not appear.

scips

I had the same problem and plugged the power cord directly onto the board, and immediately the board light was on again and the device shown up in the device list.

I didn't have such problem before with mac os 10.8 so I don't know whether it's linked with the mac os 10.9 upgrade or only with the fact that my laptop battery is reaching his end of life.

A_Gamer

A couple things to add to this thread since it was recently bumped:

- since I don't often use other USB devices I didn't realize at the time that the ports were completely shut down - not only was the Arduino not showing up, but nor did any other device (flash drive, etc) - whatever happened really offended the Mac.

- power-cycling the Mac fixed the problem.

- running the Arduino from the USB port on the keyboard (acts as a hub) or an external USB hub seems to avoid the issue, so now I have a powered USB hub on my desk (which is more convenient anyway) and haven't had any issues since.

It seemed to occur randomly after that first incident. Everything would work fine as I reconnected and moved the Arduino from the bench to computer and back, and forth, etc. But every so often it would refuse to connect. I suspect it may have been a static shock that was offending the Mac? I suspect if I had been more careful about grounding myself and my project as I slid my chair and socks across the plastic carpet protective mat I may have avoided all of this? It would seem that a cheap powered USB hub is able to 'swallow' that static pulse, or perhaps I am being a bit more careful now as I move from project to computer, and back again.  :smiley-red:

cmiyc

The USB controller used by Apple monitors current draw.  Switching back and forward probably caused an in-rush event which caused OSX to shutdown the ports.

Normally you'll get a dialog box letting you know this has happened.  As you saw, a power cycle is required, not just a reboot.

mmerkey

Hello All,

I came here with this error, and would like to share my easy solution.

1. Turn Off Bluetooth.

Thank you,
Madalyn

aramzs

So I wanted to update this since I encountered a very similar issue on the latest model MacBook Pro and it appears to be the same core problem (and this thread is the first search result for the error). I can confirm that plugging the Arduino in and out of the USB does seem to cause the system to turn off the USB serial connection.

Rebooting the laptop with the Arduino plugged in will allow you to access it fine. I suspect the issue is still a pulse or power draw that causes OSX to shut down the data connection for some reason. It sounds like using a USB hub may still fix this issue (why the standard USBC to B dongle won't do this is... strange), but I have not yet tried doing so.

Go Up