Go Down

Topic: Some ideas for tweaks to the IDE (Read 382 times) previous topic - next topic

uniqueusernamehere

Just getting back to tinkering with my Arduino and noticed a couple things that I think could improve the IDE:

-upon delete of a sketch from the IDE move the file to the recycle bin don't wipe it
-duplicate line shortcut (I actually use a different editor mostly b/c of this and move line up and down)
-global shortcut key for, refresh open file, compile and upload (handy if using an external editor)
-support changes from outside editor without locking: "File has changed refresh?" or "File has changed refresh and upload?"
-always on top serial monitor functionality

That's all for now. Thanks for all those working on this great software!

pert

-global shortcut key for, refresh open file, compile and upload (handy if using an external editor)
I suspect you're already aware, but still worth mentioning that if you select Tools > Preferences > Use external editor then all changes made externally to the sketch files will take effect in the Arduino IDE. This means that you can just use the existing keyboard shortcuts just as you would if using the IDE's built-in editor, no need to refresh.

-support changes from outside editor without locking: "File has changed refresh?" or "File has changed refresh and upload?"
One of the Arduino developers has proposed something like this:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/6074
It doesn't have the confirmation dialogs though, and has not yet been merged into the main line Arduino IDE code base.

uniqueusernamehere

Yes I did find that option. It's a good feature, but some other ide's allow that without locking the file so you can essentially use both, it prompts for refresh. I think that might be nice if easy to implement.

The global compile and upload feature is sort of linked to that. This way when you're in your external editor you can just do a global keyboard shortcut and Arduino IDE (do people call is AIDE for short?) will take focus and upload. It's easy to do with your own macro but a bit more clunky. Be nice feature I think.

Go Up