Go Down

Topic: 240V on a (doublesided) protoboard  (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic

sljivan

Hello to the Forum.

As my first project I would like to make a remote light switch.
I have the relay DS1E-ML2-DV5V, and I have the doublesided protoboard similar to this.

I will supply the arduino with 5V mobile phone charger.

Where I came to a halt is when I asked myself, how am I going to connect 240V AC to a relay that is welded to a protoboard.
Relay has +5mm clearance between the pins, but protoboard has much less. It has one more connection (tin plated hole) between pins, which is reducing the clearance between them.

My question (finally) is: Is it OK if I drill out that plated contact on the protoboard between the pins of an relay to increase the clearance or is there another way that I must do?
Is custom made PCB a must?

septillion

Where I came to a halt is when I asked myself, how am I going to connect 240V AC to a relay that is welded to a protoboard.
I would try soldering, less chance of melting the relay or burning down the house :p

Relay has +5mm clearance between the pins,
5,08mm or 200mil to be exact

but protoboard has much less.
2,54mm or 100mil to be exact :)

But yeah, on proto boards with mains voltage I drill out and remove copper from pads next to mains pins. So not only between pins but all around. That way I know for sure it will stay away from the low voltage side.
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

sljivan

I would try soldering, less chance of melting the relay or burning down the house :p
good point!  soldering is what I meant. :smiley-mr-green:

2,54mm or 100mil to be exact :)
thats right. but that is from center line to center line. minimum clearance (metal contact to metal contact) is even less.

But yeah, on proto boards with mains voltage I drill out and remove copper from pads next to mains pins. So not only between pins but all around. That way I know for sure it will stay away from the low voltage side.
makes sense.
thank you very much!

DVDdoug

sljivan

Jan 07, 2021, 11:19 am Last Edit: Jan 07, 2021, 11:29 am by sljivan
Google found this reference.
Thanks to you and to Google for the reference. Unfortunatelly didn't find the answer to my question there.
BR

TomGeorge

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

sljivan

OK. Just to close the matter I have drilled the plated contacts around 240V pins, and it works like charm. No problem whatsoever.
Thanks to the forum for the help.

BR
Ivan

wvmarle

It works now... but does it still work in a few months, when it's springtime and humidity goes to 100%?

There are standards for minimum PCB distance between traces to stop creeping; and standards for minimum air gaps to prevent arcing. The first is a several times greater than the second, and that's not just because.

It's mcuh safer to use a relay module that comes on its own PCB with appropriate clearance and/or milled slots for good isolation, and has screw terminals for the high voltage side.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Go Up