Go Down

Topic: Two chip sanity check (Read 7220 times) previous topic - next topic

EmilyJane

Back at the beginning of time...

Good stuff!  6800?  8080?  6502?

6800 at first and then mostly 6809 soon after. I really liked the 6809. All those address modes that worked for every instruction. Hated the 8080. You had to keep the fold-up card with all the opcodes with you all the time to check if you could use a particular address mode with a particular instruction. The Z80 was pretty nice.

The 68H16 was probably the cream of that crop. It's a shame it grew out of its DIP shoes. Made it hard to prototype with.

graynomad

Z80 gets my vote. Closely followed by the 68000 in the "aircraft carrier" package.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

EmilyJane

Z80 gets my vote. Closely followed by the 68000 in the "aircraft carrier" package.

______
Rob

Yes, wasn't that an impressive package? That was a proper microprocessor with external busses and a package you could plug into a breadboard. I had one of those wire-wrap "bed of nails" proto boards that was just a huge XY grid of machined sockets with a 68008 on it.

CrossRoads

Ok, the order I placed for 50 mini-uino's was accepted Aug 26, shipped Sept 1, tracking showed up in China customs Sept 4, arrived here Sept 15 (Boston, MA area).
Bobuino's were about same.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up