Go Down

Topic: Duemilanove or Uno, for programming bootloader into blank chips, etc (Read 14755 times) previous topic - next topic

EmilyJane

Why does it list the port as lpt1? The USBtinyISP is a serial device. Don't you have to specify a serial port with -P ?

VE7BDF

That is an interesting point.  I wondered about that when I first started using the USBtiny programmer with avrdude.  Evidently parallel operation is the default.  Since it appeared to work OK I didn't question it.  Following your comment I tried it both ways and received exactly the same results.

Thanks for the comment.

EmilyJane

Well, that seems pretty strange. I have a USBtinyISP on order so I haven't used one yet. I would probably never have noticed anything because I am accustomed to specifying the port when using the Arduino as ISP.

VE7BDF

I am very happy with the USBtiny and it certainly appears to work well.  As you can see from the last attachment, the USBtiny appears to be working and communicating with the 328P.
My concern is the weird problems that have arisen around programming the bootloader on the 328P.  I have tried using two different 328P's with no success.  On the surface this would seem to be a trivial project, but obviously I am missing something.

Go Up