Go Down

Topic: Alternative PCB Manufacturer to JLCPCB ? (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic

srnet

Jan 19, 2021, 02:25 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2021, 02:25 pm by srnet
Anyone know of a PCB manufacturer that can approach the price levels charged by JLCPCB, but will review the boards before payment ?

A 10cm x 10cm board is currently $5 and JLPCB and for that price the quality is very good.

Unfortunatly they have now removed the option to review boards before payment.  If they can find a problem in the review they will refund the cost of that board, but if you still want the board made you will now face another carriage charge, and they have been rising fairly steeply of late.

So anyone out there with JLCPCB price levels who will review boards before payment ?

No PMs please, they dont get answered.

UKHeliBob

How do PCBWay deal with the situation ?
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

srnet

Jan 19, 2021, 02:36 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2021, 02:36 pm by srnet
No idea. never used them, might join them and see.

You might think I am a cynic, but I assume that the carriage charges made are at cost + a profit so its possible there is an incentive for a PCB manufacturer to find a minor problem and reject a least one boards in an order. 

srnet

Regardless, whilst a 10cm PCB is the same price, $5, they add $14 (ouch) if you want lead free, which I do.

milamber_ls

RapidStencil.com, a unique solder paste stencil printer for prototyping and small production batches. Fast, easy and most cost-effective

srnet

Now I never thought of Seeed.

They do look worth a try, lead free is more expensive than JLCPCB, but shipping cost are lower.

Maybe I will try sending the order, its for 5 PCBs to JLCPCB and if one of them fails send it to Seeed and see what happens.

6v6gt

Anyone know of a PCB manufacturer that can approach the price levels charged by JLCPCB, but will review the boards before payment ?

A 10cm x 10cm board is currently $5 and JLPCB and for that price the quality is very good.

Unfortunatly they have now removed the option to review boards before payment.  If they can find a problem in the review they will refund the cost of that board, but if you still want the board made you will now face another carriage charge, and they have been rising fairly steeply of late.

So anyone out there with JLCPCB price levels who will review boards before payment ?

I'm just trying to understand the problem here in case I also face it.

You pay for boards and carriage (delivery). They find a fault and refund the money. That bit I've got. But how do you lose the carriage charges ?

Have they excluded your board from a larger order on the grounds that its design contains errors ? That means that you receive a partial order but the item containing the error would have to be shipped separately ? Or what ?

larryd

". . . now removed the option to review boards . . ."

What's missing here, review the boards yourself with a hard copy of gerber viewer.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

srnet

Jan 19, 2021, 09:29 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2021, 09:36 pm by srnet
You pay for boards and carriage (delivery). They find a fault and refund the money. That bit I've got. But how do you lose the carriage charges ?
I did not say you lose the carriage charge.

When a single board in an order (of several boards) has a 'fault' they will dleiver the other boards.

But ......... you then have to submit another order and pay another carriage charge, if you still want the 'faulty' (after the problem is fixed) board.

The effect is to raise the cost of having your original quantity of boards by $25 or more.

srnet

Jan 19, 2021, 09:35 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2021, 09:35 pm by srnet
". . . now removed the option to review boards . . ."

What's missing here, review the boards yourself with a hard copy of gerber viewer.
That step is not missing,  I always check the Gerbers with a viewer and have been doing so for years ....................

However a Gerber viewer is not in itself a design reviewer for distances & clearances, or am I mistaken ?

Do you know if JLCPCB publish a tool so you can match their design review process with your own Gerber viewer ?

hammy

ITEAD , they do 100% tests on their boards and I've never had a faulty one

larryd

Jan 20, 2021, 12:04 am Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 12:06 am by larryd
That step is not missing,  I always check the Gerbers with a viewer and have been doing so for years ....................

However a Gerber viewer is not in itself a design reviewer for distances & clearances, or am I mistaken ?

Do you know if JLCPCB publish a tool so you can match their design review process with your own Gerber viewer ?

" . . . reviewer for distances & clearances . . . "

That's what running DRC (Design Rule Checking ) does.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

david_2018

When a single board in an order (of several boards) has a 'fault' they will dleiver the other boards.

Can you specify in the order to contact you if a fault is detected, before proceeding with the remainder of the order?  Or to simply cancel the entire order if there is a problem with any of the boards?

6v6gt

OK. I see. I use allpcb.com. When I made an error with one board ( I made a last minute alteration to the design without rerunning the design rules check which, as a side effect in kicad, redraws the ground plane etc.) they contacted me and held up that board. I was able to resubmit the gerber file set. I did nothing explicit to suspend the entire order and it did not even occur to me that they might have split the faulty board away from the main order. I may have been lucky that I acted quickly enough.

septillion

" . . . reviewer for distances & clearances . . . "

That's what running DRC (Design Rule Checking ) does.
Can not agree more :) Basically that's all they do as a check as well.

Other option is dirtypcbs.com, they basically just don't check anything :D But don't think they do lead free but I don't know why you ever want crappy lead free anyway...
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

Go Up