Go Down

Topic: Distance Sensor Application (Read 140 times) previous topic - next topic

turb0lag

Hello,

I am planning a project that mounts a sensor on a moving application (like a bicycle) to sense other objects in the near vicinity. I was wondering if a microwave radar type sensor (Doppler radar type) like the RCWL-0516 would be a worthy contender for this design? Thoughts?

I am also considering ultrasonic sensors as they are also cheap and seem to have decent range.

Thanks in advance!

pylon

I am planning a project that mounts a sensor on a moving application (like a bicycle) to sense other objects in the near vicinity.
What's the purpose? Do you just need to know if the bicycle is to hit an obstacle soon or do you want to get a kind of 3d picture of the surrounding area (which needs a lot of computing power to process). Without knowing your target we cannot suggest hardware as we have no clue about the requirements.

wvmarle

As soon as you are moving your bike, the RCWL-0516 will detect lots of moving objects: basically anything that is NOT your bicycle, plus your own body movement of course.

When sitting next to such a sensor just the typing of your hands on the keyboard can be enough to set them off. Normal breathing doesn't, that's about the amount of movement that is allowed before setting it off.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Go Up