M1 Macbook not recognizing any arduino boards

With the newest M1 MacBooks, the arduino create editor does not recognize any boards (uno and nano.

I can upload the code to these same boards using my older MacBook Air.

Things I've tested:

• The create agent is installed (version 1.2.0-5c796d2).
  • The create agent is recognized by Chrome and not by Safari. With Safari I still get the popup "please install the plugin".
  • Restarted computer

The board isn't recognize and if I try to upload I get: "Error uploading, check if selected board is currently available".

The create agent logs don't show anything I can spot:

{"Version" : "1.2.0"}

{"Commands" : ["list", "open [portName] [baud] [bufferAlgorithm (optional)]", "send [portName] [cmd]", "sendnobuf [portName] [cmd]", "close [portName]", "bufferalgorithms", "baudrates", "restart", "exit", "program [portName] [board:name] [$path/to/filename/without/extension]", "programfromurl [portName] [board:name] [urlToHexFile]"]} 
{"Hostname" : "Michaels-MacBook-Pro.local"} 
{"OS" : "darwin"} 
list
{ "Ports": [], "Network": true }
{ "Ports": [], "Network": false }
list
{ "Ports": [], "Network": false }
{ "Ports": [], "Network": true }
Thanks for any help. I can still code on my new M1 and upload using my old MacBook Air.

@michaelvo

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Did you also select the correct port and bootloader version ?

Did you also select the correct port and bootloader version ?

It doesn't show a port option on the M1 Macbook. For the bootloader do you mean the arduino agent? I wasn't given an option for that but I could see that the download had "arm" in it so I assume that was correct.

See picture

But you also need to select a port too.
I don't have enough experience of the M1 macs to make a suggestion as to why no port is showing.

2021-01-26 at 07-53-36.png

2021-01-26 at 07-53-36.png

Just received news that the MI is not currently supported but that development is ongoing.

You should keep an eye out HERE for upcoming information.

Thanks. So I figured out what the serial ports are.

On my m1 macbook, I can get the UNO to work only on the desktop client. It correctly shows the "usbmodem101" port, and doesn't work if we select the "bluetooth" port.

In the m1 macbook chrome arduino create client, it does not detect the UNO. This is at least progress for me as I don't have to switch back and forth between my old macbook air and this new M1 macbook.

I've hit another snag and I don't know if I should post the question here or in a new thread. I just bought the MKR1010 WiFi board and for this one it doesn't work on both my old macbook air and my new m1 macbook in both the browser and desktop client. It seems there's another rabbit hole of drivers to install and to try out. I've installed the board manager "Arduino SAMD" It would really be great to auto detect these boards and suggest what libraries and board packages to install. I ordered the Arduino Uno WiFi Microcontroller rev2 and hoping that one is compatible.

michaelvo:
I just bought the MKR1010 WiFi board and for this one it doesn't work on both my old macbook air and my new m1 macbook in both the browser and desktop client.

Please provide a detailed description of what you mean by "doesn't work".

michaelvo:
I ordered the Arduino Uno WiFi Microcontroller rev2 and hoping that one is compatible.

As @ballscrewbob already explained, there is currently absolutely no support for the Apple M1. This is a completely new architecture and all the tools will need to be recompiled, thoroughly tested, and then released in order to support it. You'll need to use your old computer for Arduino for the near future.

I see @michaelvo created a dedicated topic for the MKR WiFi 1010 problem:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=725424
Let's confine all discussion about the problem with the MKR WiFi 1010 to that forum topic.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.