Go Down

Topic: New 32 Bit Arduino Due... (Read 46963 times) previous topic - next topic

frank26080115

Hey if you guys want to compare the PIC32 with ARM Cortex-M3, we should be comparing FLOPs and other benchmarks, not just pure clock speed and memory.

Good point. Any idea where to get those data?

Wk

No idea, and it also varies with your compiler. Although I'd like to see a standardized benchmarking method for microcontrollers, maybe a platform independant piece of C code to find prime numbers and digits of Pi? And also maybe something to test sequencial and random memory access. Although a lot of this info can be determine from careful analysis of the datasheets

westfw

Sep 20, 2011, 08:10 am Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 09:45 am by westfw Reason: 1
other benchmarks

http://www.coremark.org ?

Added: There are some existing results.  AVR seems to do about 0.5 CoreMarks/MHz, ARM CM3 around 1 to 1.7 CM/MHz, and PIC32 1.5 to 2.5 CM/MHz.

TonyD

Will we be seeing a new IDE for the 32-bit Arduino? 

avenue33

And what about compatibility, especially for low level libraries like NewSoftSerial (now called SoftSerial and bundled in Arduino 1.0 IDE)?

graynomad

especially for low level libraries like NewSoftSerial

I assume everything in the official release will be ported. As for everyone else, better brush up on your SAM3 architecture :)

______
Ron
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Leon Heller

Sep 20, 2011, 04:57 pm Last Edit: Sep 22, 2011, 01:32 pm by Leon Heller Reason: 1

The PIC32 used in the Digilent chipKIT Arduino offers a lot more performance than the SAM3U used in the Due.

How come? Isn't the PIC32 80Mhz and the Due 96Mhz?

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,892,893&Prod=CHIPKIT-UNO32

Wk

The MIPS core used in the PIC32 delivers 1.58 DMIPS/MHz, which is a lot more than the Cortex-M3 offers.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Vanyamba

There is a RAM memory and there is a Flash memory. Also CPU registers are there.
More descriptive info can be found at 3.7 Instruction timings here http://www.peter-cockerell.net/aalp/html/ch-3.html.

Onions

Quote from: ARM link=topic=http://www.keil.com/dd/chip/5018.htm date=1316545167

The Atmel AT91SAM9M10 is a Core: - 400 MHz ARM926EJ-S based High-performance 32-bit RISC Microcontroller with Thumb extensions, 32K Bytes Instruction Cache, 32K Bytes Data Cache, 64K Bytes SRAM, 64K Bytes ROM, and MMU. Memories: - Dedicated DDR2 Controller with 4-banks for DDR2/LPDDR and SDRAM/LPSDR devices. - External Bus Interface which supports 4-banks for DDR2/LPDDR & SDRAM/LPSDR devices, Static Memories, CompactFlash®, and SLC NAND Flash devices with ECC. Peripherals: - Multi-format Video Decoder (VDEC) which supports MPEG-4, MPEG-2, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, and JPEG stream formats. - LCD Controller supporting STN and TFT displays up to 1280*860. - ITU-R BT. 601/656 Image Sensor Interface. - USB Device High Speed interface, USB Host High Speed interface, and USB Host Full Speed with On-Chip Transceiver. - 10/100 Mbps Ethernet MAC Controller. - Two High Speed Memory Card Hosts (SDIO, SDCard, MMC). - AC'97 controller. - 2 x Master/Slave Serial Peripheral Interfaces (SPI). - 2 x Three-channel 32-bit Timer/Counters. - 2 x Synchronous Serial Controllers (I2S mode). - 4 Channel 16-Bit PWM Controller. - 2 x Two-wire interfaces (TWI). - 4 USARTs with ISO7816, IrDA, Manchester and SPI modes. - 8-channel 10-bit ADC with 4-wire Touch Screen support. System: - 133 MHz 12 x 32-bit layer AHB Bus Matrix. - 37 DMA Channels. - Boot from NAND Flash, SDCard, DataFlash® or serial DataFlash. - Reset Controller with on-chip Power-on Reset. - Selectable 32768 Hz Low-power and 12 MHz Crystal Oscillators. - Internal Low-power 32 kHz RC Oscillator. - One PLL for the system and one 480 MHz PLL optimized for USB High Speed. - Two Programmable External Clock Signals. - Advanced Interrupt Controller and Debug Unit. - Periodic Interval Timer, Watchdog Timer, Real Time Timer and Real Time Clock. I/O - Five 32-bit Parallel Input/Output Controllers. - 160 Programmable I/O Lines Multipl.

How long 'till we get one of these?   ]:D I've highlighted the bits that stand out to me, but others may be able to point out other bits I missed...

Onions.
My website: http://www.harryrabbit.co.uk/electronics/home.html Up and running now! (Feel free to look round!) :D

frank26080115

Quote from: ARM link=topic=http://www.keil.com/dd/chip/5018.htm date=1316545167

The Atmel AT91SAM9M10 is a Core: - 400 MHz ARM926EJ-S based High-performance 32-bit RISC Microcontroller with Thumb extensions, 32K Bytes Instruction Cache, 32K Bytes Data Cache, 64K Bytes SRAM, 64K Bytes ROM, and MMU. Memories: - Dedicated DDR2 Controller with 4-banks for DDR2/LPDDR and SDRAM/LPSDR devices. - External Bus Interface which supports 4-banks for DDR2/LPDDR & SDRAM/LPSDR devices, Static Memories, CompactFlash®, and SLC NAND Flash devices with ECC. Peripherals: - Multi-format Video Decoder (VDEC) which supports MPEG-4, MPEG-2, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, and JPEG stream formats. - LCD Controller supporting STN and TFT displays up to 1280*860. - ITU-R BT. 601/656 Image Sensor Interface. - USB Device High Speed interface, USB Host High Speed interface, and USB Host Full Speed with On-Chip Transceiver. - 10/100 Mbps Ethernet MAC Controller. - Two High Speed Memory Card Hosts (SDIO, SDCard, MMC). - AC'97 controller. - 2 x Master/Slave Serial Peripheral Interfaces (SPI). - 2 x Three-channel 32-bit Timer/Counters. - 2 x Synchronous Serial Controllers (I2S mode). - 4 Channel 16-Bit PWM Controller. - 2 x Two-wire interfaces (TWI). - 4 USARTs with ISO7816, IrDA, Manchester and SPI modes. - 8-channel 10-bit ADC with 4-wire Touch Screen support. System: - 133 MHz 12 x 32-bit layer AHB Bus Matrix. - 37 DMA Channels. - Boot from NAND Flash, SDCard, DataFlash® or serial DataFlash. - Reset Controller with on-chip Power-on Reset. - Selectable 32768 Hz Low-power and 12 MHz Crystal Oscillators. - Internal Low-power 32 kHz RC Oscillator. - One PLL for the system and one 480 MHz PLL optimized for USB High Speed. - Two Programmable External Clock Signals. - Advanced Interrupt Controller and Debug Unit. - Periodic Interval Timer, Watchdog Timer, Real Time Timer and Real Time Clock. I/O - Five 32-bit Parallel Input/Output Controllers. - 160 Programmable I/O Lines Multipl.

How long 'till we get one of these?   ]:D I've highlighted the bits that stand out to me, but others may be able to point out other bits I missed...

Onions.

We already have it, get a BeagleBoard or Gumstix or a smartphone, or wait for the Raspberry Pi

It's not the exact same chip but it'll be close to it.

Magician

Seeedstudio has :
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/mbed-nxp-lpc1768-prototyping-board-p-933.html?cPath=132_137

Best-in-class Cortex-M3 hardware
- 100 MHz ARM with 64 KB of SRAM, 512 KB of Flash
- Ethernet, USB OTG

Looks impressive, does anyone practically tested it ?

frank26080115

Sep 23, 2011, 04:44 am Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 04:46 am by frank26080115 Reason: 1

Seeedstudio has :
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/mbed-nxp-lpc1768-prototyping-board-p-933.html?cPath=132_137

Best-in-class Cortex-M3 hardware
- 100 MHz ARM with 64 KB of SRAM, 512 KB of Flash
- Ethernet, USB OTG

Looks impressive, does anyone practically tested it ?

Yes, it's mindblowingly awesome. It's basically the reason why I'm not impressed by the Due, although still happy it's coming.

Me testing it: http://mbed.org/users/frank26080115/notebook/my-mbed-base-station/

westfw

MBED has a lot of public comment surrounding it.  They implemented a new style of development environment to go along with it, that a lot of people find unacceptably close and/or unacceptably insecure (cloud based, libraries in binary form "in the cloud.")
(There are, however, quite a few ARM development boards comparable to Arduino in price...)

graynomad

(There are, however, quite a few ARM development boards comparable to Arduino in price...)

LPC Xpresso for example, $29.95 with full (real) IDE.

As for the cloud development, frank set me straight on that before and it is possible to develop off line with a makefile etc. But that is not even mentioned on their site and in fact one comment from an admin person I saw in a forum post was something like "we do not encourage it".

I think they are losing a lot of potential customers because of this "cloud only toolchain" impression.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

westfw

it is possible to develop off line

But also no JTAG connector (program load by bootloader only, and I'm not sure if the bootloader protocol is documented)?
(That may end up being a complaint against Due as well.)

LPCXpresso is a much smaller chip (or at least some of them are.  I think there are at least three varieties.)

Do you think it's possible to create a debugger than would work for the normal Arduino Audience?  Debugger concepts are pretty "deep" when you get down to it :-(

Go Up