jtagmkII_reset(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)

I'm trying to upload my sketch to a new Arduino Nano Every

It had a few successful uploads but all of a sudden it stopped working.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Nano Every, None (ATMEGA4809)"

Sketch uses 1118 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 49152 bytes.
Global variables use 22 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6122 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 6144 bytes.
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description
avrdude: jtagmkII_reset(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)
avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)

When trying to display the verbose output all I get is
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): sign-on command: status -1
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): sign-on command: status -1
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)

Sometimes I get:

avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description
avrdude: jtagmkII_reset(): bad response to reset command: RSP_ILLEGAL_MCU_STATE
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to sign-off command: RSP_ILLEGAL_MCU_STATE
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Hope someone can help

Same problem was here, but under Ubuntu Linux.
I've got 3 every boards, only one was worked, another two got same problems.
But under Windows 10, with same setup (IDE:1.8.13, megaAVRboards: 1.8.7) works like a charm.
If You can try to upload on different OS.

The same error is happening to me on Windows. I know there were changes an the bootloader in not in the ATmega4809 chip now but is part of the sam chip that controls the serial communication and programming. I have run into this error now 4 or five times with different sketches.
IDE Version 1.8.13
Windows 10
Error: avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description avrdude: jtagmkII_reset(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1) avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Hi.
I bought 3 Arduino Nano Every.
I started writing test sketches both using Arduino Ide and Visual Studio + Visual Micro under Windows 10.
Everything went fine for a while.
Suddently I can't upload my sketches anymore.
I'm using the right board model ("arduino nano every") and the correct COM port.
I see a lot of

and sometimes I also see errors saying that COM port is busy (cannot "touch"), some other times the port is said non-existant (but I can see it in Device Manager).

In the Arduino IDE I can also get the board info - can I infer that the board's serial port is working?

I tried many times on all 3 boards but to no result.

Any help appreciated.

Ciao

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.