Go Down

Topic: RFID 134.2kHz sensor module for Arduino (Read 409 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul_KD7HB

As I recall, Google will find the explanation of the coding for the European animal RFID chip.
Paul

Geek Emeritus

your first mistake, everybody does it:

READ THIS BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

This is what happens when you do not

The best analogy I can make for this forum is, it's like a magic shop. you don't just walk in, flash the platinum card, and walk out with "Saw the lady in half". you show the magic you have, we guide you further down the path.

an essential lesson of that magic is reading 7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags

All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

darkfire86

I apologize.

This is my first personal project. I have not in the least considered this forum as a "take-away" where you can find the solution without any effort.
I'm trying, trying, reading, making mistakes, to understand more and learn how to use this type of technology.

Of course I will do my best to learn and be able to help those in need, as you are doing with me. Thank you all.

Paul_KD7HB

I apologize.

This is my first personal project. I have not in the least considered this forum as a "take-away" where you can find the solution without any effort.
I'm trying, trying, reading, making mistakes, to understand more and learn how to use this type of technology.

Of course I will do my best to learn and be able to help those in need, as you are doing with me. Thank you all.

Let me help. This was quickly found using Google:
"A microchip implant is a passive RFID device. Lacking an internal power source, it remains inert until it is powered by the scanner or another power source. While the chip itself only interacts with limited frequencies, the device also has an antenna that is optimized for a specific frequency, but is not selective. It may receive, generate current with, and reradiate stray electromagnetic waves.[19] The radio-waves emitted by the scanner activate the chip, making the chip transmit the identification number to the scanner, and the scanner displays the number on screen.[2] The microchip is enclosed in a biocompatible glass cylinder[2] and includes an identifying integrated circuit placed under the skin of an animal. Relevant standards for the chips are ISO 11784 and ISO 11785.".
So you see you have to have a RFID reader that POWERS the implanted chip, not a passive reader like you are using.
Paul

darkfire86

So it is impossible to make an RFID reader of this frequency with these simple components (https://amz.run/4KHh), considering that the reader cannot power the chip. Am I right?

I based my research on the functioning, and recognition, of 125kHz RFID tags used outside of Europe, studying the type of device used (a sensor that works on that frequency) and a code that would allow the Arduino unit to communicate. with the sensor, reading and printing the read values.
Unfortunately, as far as the 134.2kHz frequency is concerned, literature is scarce and fragmented. For this reason I took the liberty of asking for help. Thanks for your feedback.

Paul_KD7HB

So it is impossible to make an RFID reader of this frequency with these simple components (https://amz.run/4KHh), considering that the reader cannot power the chip. Am I right?

I based my research on the functioning, and recognition, of 125kHz RFID tags used outside of Europe, studying the type of device used (a sensor that works on that frequency) and a code that would allow the Arduino unit to communicate. with the sensor, reading and printing the read values.
Unfortunately, as far as the 134.2kHz frequency is concerned, literature is scarce and fragmented. For this reason I took the liberty of asking for help. Thanks for your feedback.

100% right.
Paul

darkfire86

Another experience that I have seen during these days of research is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89yJ1Fq-hQ

It seems that it was possible, using the same sensor technology, to be able to have a decoding of the RFID tag.

reibuehl

I did also start building a tag reader based on the model that you have. I started from Andreas Spiess' code and my code is able to read test tags on close distance but seems to have not enough reach to read the tag under our dogs skin.

I use an ESP32 (since it has also two hardware serial ports but is much smaller than the Arduino Mega) and a small 0.66in 64x48 pixel OLED display to display the tag ID and country code of the tag.

You can find my code at https://github.com/reibuehl/AnimalRFIDTagReader - feel free to contribute to it.

darkfire86

Go Up