Go Down

Topic: Ultra flat signal and power cables to go through window frames (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic

Lagom

Trouble is the glass. Modern triple pane windows are UV coated with some metallic stuff and gas filled, and that blocks WLAN very well, hence the idea to find ultra flat cables for the stuff outside and have the WLAN ESP32 module inside. Seems like appartments in various high-rises today are like Faraday cages. Cellular not too good either, not that that matters.

chopsuwe

Glass doesn't block wifi, the walls around them do. As long as you've got your transmit and receive antennas in line of sight, there should be no problem. 

Paul_KD7HB

Possibly... don't have any. This set-up has to go outside the window of several high-rise appartments and must be safe-ish for the people who live there.

Packet radio, if it goes through the window would be great, if only I knew how to make a reliable bridge inside to WLAN. Have to search for tutorials about that.
In that case, the window frames are likely steel or aluminum. Why not tell us what material you are dealing with?
Paul

Lagom

They're from 2002, modern wood plus aluminium construction, double and triple pane.

I'll pester some flat flexible cable vendors first, if they can be persuaded selling to an individual who doesn't need 100 metres per day, lol.

In any case, making a packet radio to WLAN bridge is interesting, too, if one can overcome the library conflict problems.

Thanks again for the many good suggestions.

79galinakorczak

instead of litz you can use small diameter enameled wire ( 0.3mm ) and scotch tape, just to pass the window frame after that use regular cable.
or
arduino wifi, i2c ?
I forgot to add - DIY rainbow cable using scotch tape and 0.3 mm wire, 0.1 is also ok , I just made it for curiosity.

Paul_KD7HB

They're from 2002, modern wood plus aluminium construction, double and triple pane.

I'll pester some flat flexible cable vendors first, if they can be persuaded selling to an individual who doesn't need 100 metres per day, lol.

In any case, making a packet radio to WLAN bridge is interesting, too, if one can overcome the library conflict problems.

Thanks again for the many good suggestions.
Is the spot where you want the conductors made with metal so bare conductors would be shorted? If not, go to a local hardware store and get some brass shim stock, or a hobby store, or an art material store and get some copper foil, or brass foil or brass shim stock. Maybe even an auto parts store.  And make your own wiring. There is also stainless steel shim stock. I have a bunch. Punch holes in strips and connect the wires you need.
Paul

Go Up