Go Down

Topic: iPAD!!!!!  OMG!!! (Read 9721 times) previous topic - next topic

trialex

No USB port?

No multitasking? (Surely even apple people like to play mp3s while writing documents)

No unnaproved software?

$70 for a keyboard?

If microsoft had put this out they would be getting slammed.

Osgeld

Jan 29, 2010, 01:21 am Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 01:21 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
The cool thing is that you have to find an intelligent use for it Smiley Who wish to play the game ? Smiley

The PC has similar origins
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

amacmullen14

Yeah, I think it's disappointing that they used the iphone os not the mac os.  (or at least closer to the iphone os)

It would be AWESOME if it had usb ports, and it ran Snow leopard, and then you could use an arduino with it!

Osgeld

Jan 29, 2010, 02:16 am Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 02:16 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
I was expecting the Iphone like OS, but lack of usb ports? I think my alarm clock even has a usb port on it  ::)

[edit]yea it does, but its only power  >:([/edit]
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

trialex

My CAR has a USB port.

jezuz

pshhhh, even my arduino has a usb port.

Osgeld

bigtrumpet

Well, why I need a bigger Iphone?

Tchnclfl

Jan 29, 2010, 02:09 pm Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 02:10 pm by Tchnclfl Reason: 1
At least people who know things about electronics (AKA Arduino people) know how useless this is bound to be.  All my friends are Apple fanboys who are sure to buy it because it's Shiny and from Apple.

Well, why I need a bigger Iphone?

Does it even have Phone capabilities?

And I thought I'd add on to the trend:  My DIGITAL CABLE BOX has a USB port!

madworm

Jan 29, 2010, 02:45 pm Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 02:48 pm by madworm Reason: 1
The price you have to pay for an apple iWhatever is freedom.

- I won't be told by any company what kind of software I can or cannot run on a device I have purchased.
- No IO ports. Am I supposed to only download music from the iStore?
- Always online. I just hate wireless. It's way too easy for the iBrain to tap into my device without me noticing it.
- Such things have happened before. Didn't amazon remote-delete content from ebook readers?
- Replaceable battery?
- Memory slot?

Emyr

- I won't be told by any company what kind of software I can or cannot run on a device I have purchased.
- Such things have happened before. Didn't amazon remote-delete content from ebook readers?
- Replaceable battery?
- Memory slot?

Fair comment.

- No IO ports. Am I supposed to only download music from the iStore?

It has a dock port, just like the iPod. Remember this isn't intended as your primary machine.

- Always online. I just hate wireless. It's way too easy for the iBrain to tap into my device without me noticing it.

Either get the wifi only model, and don't enable auto-connect on your networks, or get the 3G model and use Airplane mode.

madworm

I presume that 'airplane mode' is switched on/off by software ?

I can only accept a hardware kill switch that removes all power from the wireless circuitry.

andrew0

Maybe, just maybe, the sort of people who visit this site are not the target audience for this (or maybe any other) Apple device.

I used to deride Apple products as triumphs of style and marketing over substance. My first mp3 player was an iRiver H320 hard disk based thing. At the time I thought it was a smart buy, and I agreed with the conclusion in this review (http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/iriver-h320-20gb/4505-6490_7-31120667.html ):

The bottom line: As did the phased-out H120, the H320 will attract those who value features as well as superior audio playback and recording quality over style.

I learned the workarounds for not being able to create playlists on the device, I chortled at people who had to bother with all that song metadata malarkey when obviously just putting your songs in hard disk folders was easier and better. I occasionally tried to train my wife in the bizarre button pushing you had to do to achieve some functions...

Then I needed a higher capacity player and I decided to try out one of these new-fangled iPods people had been talking about. What a revelation, it was like our TiVo but for music! Sometimes when you just want something to work first time, every time and be extremely easy to use for its main function then less really is more, even for a gadget nerd like me.

The only thing that turns me off about the iPad is lack of Flash capability in Safari, but maybe by the time I can afford one they'll have fixed that or it'll be irrelevant.

Andrew

jezuz

Jan 29, 2010, 04:35 pm Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 04:35 pm by jezuz Reason: 1
No Flash!?? Really?! My IPhone doesn't support flash for the simple reason that the battery would die out too quickly (and, from what I heard, Adobe doesn't want to buy into Apple's marketing). But this is ridiculous - a huge touchscreen without flash is like getting basic cable instead of the full package.

digimike

No the iPhone doesn't support flash because Apple likes to dictate what we want in our devices.

I think the iPad is going to be Appl'ss first big flop in a long time. This thing should have come with a couple of USB ports, an SD card slot, GPS, flash support, and a camera.

As it is they have introduced an over sized, over priced iTouch. Its really nothing more then a fancy ebook reader. I just can't see how this is going to compete with all the other tablet/slate offerings coming out this year.

Apple usually has some nice innovations that place there version of a product above and beyond there competitors. They just totaly missed the mark on this one.

Go Up