Go Down

Topic: Serial communication stops after long periods. (Read 20631 times) previous topic - next topic

-dev

There is a known Windows bug with USB "unexpected disconnects".  One of the members here actually registered a bug report with MS and linked to his video demonstrating it.  Seems like it was supposed to be fixed in Windows 8 or 10, IIRC.  It was specifically stated that it would not be fixed in earlier versions.

Perhaps the power surge/sag affects some part of the USB hardware chain, and it "looks" like a disconnect.  In which case, filtering the power through a UPS or isolation transformer should fix it.

For others with similar symptoms, be sure you're not having a millis rollover problem instead.

Cheers,
/dev
Really, I used to be /dev.  :(

jorgemarmo

Hi there... same problem here with a chinese nanoV3 clone using the CH340

First of all, me move out last year, on the previous house I did a long log with the arduino, I don't recall any issue.
On the new house, I'm trying to do some recordings, so I put a laptop PC to log the arduino... connection lost after ~2 hours... I thought this might be a USB energy saving problem or something related. But then I change the laptop for a RaspberryPi 3 (under raspbian, the last one to the date) and same problem happened over and over again... time interval for interruption is not fix, but is in the 2 hours order.

And cherry on top, the arduino, the RPi or the laptop, are plugged on the same socket as a refrigerator! what are the odds?

I don't have the time right now, but I'll try to correlate the connection loss with the fridge turning on/off....

jorgemarmo

Hi there,

For anyone reading this topic.... a minor update:
I burnt my code into the same nano clone, WITHOUT the bootloader, (using another nano as ISP programmer) and it seems to fix the problem... no more sudden stops.

aarg

Is it my imagination, or has there been a general increase in exhuming several years old threads lately?
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

Go Up