1281 Bootloader

I designed a board based off the Arduino Mega 1280 design, except I replaced the 1280 with a 1281. I am now regretting that decision:) I am using a usbTiny programmer with avrdude and I am attempting to load the Arduino IDE's bootloader on to the board. I recompiled the boot image for the 1281. The first problem I had was the ICSP Header was attached to MOSI(PE0)/MISO(PE1) pins...after a little investigation I found out for the 1281 they need to be connected to PB2 and PB3...fortunately I had these pulled to a header. Unfortunately I have the USB to Serial chip attached to PB2 and PB3... I removed the isolation resistors so that the USB chip is out of the picture now.

I programmed the fuses successfully using the following avrdude command line, which is the same as in the Arduino Bootloader Makefile:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega1281 -P -b 115200 -e -u -U lock:w:0x3f:m -U efuse:w:0xF5:m -U hfuse:w:0xDA:m -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m

Now when I attempt to burn my new bootloader image with the following avrdude command:
avrdude -c usbTiny -p m1281 -U flash:w:ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega1281.hex -U lock:w:0x0f:m

It writes and reads back the image, but fails the verification:

Code:
avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1f000
0x0c != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

So is byte 0x1F000 the first byte verified? If so, then I guess that none of my writes were successful. Any ideas on what to try next?

B2