Go Down

Topic: What is the brightest LED out there? (Read 2903 times) previous topic - next topic

noobtoarduino

Nov 26, 2011, 03:12 pm Last Edit: Nov 26, 2011, 03:17 pm by noobtoarduino Reason: 1
Hi all,

I want to buy the brightest LED possible (RGB or single color).  I already have ThingM's MAXM Blaster and am wondering if there is anything brighter.  The specs on MAXM say that its Blaster is 445,000 mcd (candelas) but I'm wondering if there anything brighter than this?  

One of the things I find confusing is that some sites use candelas, and others use lumens, and I don't know how they are different and can't make an apples-to-apples comparison.  Others just use Watts, with no mention of candelas or lumens.  So how can one compare brightness?

I intend to stick enough LEDS in this thing (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40155009/) so that it is bright during the day, and control the color.  Please let me know if you know of any LED setup that is brighter than MAXM.  Thank you for your help! :)

robtillaart

What is your goal?
must it be a LED?

Watts is the amount of energy used, lumens and candela are equivalent (with factor 4·?) and the one you are searching for.

From WIkipedia:
The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI derived unit of luminous flux, a measure of the total "amount" of visible light emitted by a source. Luminous flux differs from power (radiant flux) in that luminous flux measurements reflect the varying sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths of light, while radiant flux measurements indicate the total power of all light emitted, independent of the eye's ability to perceive it.

The lumen is defined in relation to the candela as

1 lm = 1 cd·sr

A full sphere has a solid angle of 4·? steradians,[1] so a light source that uniformly radiates one candela in all directions has a total luminous flux of 1 cd·4? sr = 4? ? 12.57 lumens.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

winner10920

You can find on ebay for about 10$ a 10w rgb led which I imagine can push your maxm blaster to its 3a limit, I assume it does the current regulating so that's makes it easier to use, however you will definetly need a heatsink on of these things or risk burning it out in 5 seconds
not sure how you are working this but you can also use regjlar 1w leds which are normally rated for 350ma but with a good heatsink I've pushed to about 1.82 amps XD
Its just as bright as the 10 w led but done for 50c and considerable loss in life expectancy

Go Up