Homebrew "shields" for beginners.

Theres been some posts from beginners about what to buy to get their Arduino doing more than blink the LED :stuck_out_tongue:

There has also been good advice on buying packs of resistors, diodes etc.. but before splashing out on particular shields, you can try the project out with some perforated board ( veroboard ) and some header pins.( if you can solder )

Here are a few I made along the way, they are not very pretty, but all worked.
I have mislaid some others like the stepper motor controller and SD card reader ( I couldn't recognise them in the junk box )

I just hang the header pins along one side of the Arduino where possible,( like the eeprom ) or arrange it across the top , like the 433MHz receiver.

Once you have the hang of writing a sketch to the prototype, then you might want to buy the full shield to use all of it's functions.

I fit 28 pin dip sockets to all my projects, and load the sketch using the Arduino board, then plug the chip in the prototype ( because I havn't learnt how to program it in circuit yet )

You can also design your own little pcb to take the dip socket and your favourite conectors etc :-

I have left solder pads on the spare data pins for whatever is needed.

Strip an old car alarm and salvage the transducers for a distance measuring thingy, or whatever, be brave and try stuff, this forum is wonderful, you can always " phone a friend" if you get stuck and can't find the answer by Googling.

Awesome!..

thanks for sharing.

Might even be a vetter if you laid out a few plans or tuts for noobs to make some of the more 'common' shields people play with.
(SD card, led/shit register..etc)

Also.. I use a cheapie $1.00 cell phone data cable as my 'FTDI' cable for uploading my sketches.. its great because in your custom pcbs's or shields.. you only need to break out 4 pins/vias (minimum) for use...and a pogo style header/pig tail cable on one end.

You 'do' have to manually reset the board using the reset button.. (not a problem for me) as I couldnt find a DTS/RST pad on my cheapie cable. =)

(might not be broke out...might have to tap chip pin directly if you really want it)