Go Down

Topic: Fart Operated Random Channel TV Remote (Read 2827 times) previous topic - next topic

Schmidtn

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fart-Operated-Random-Channel-TV-Remote/

Kind of a silly project, but I made a TV remote that changes the channel when it smells a fart.  

But on a serious note, that link has a lot of good how-to information in it.  I see a lot of people on here asking about how to capture and send IR pulses (like what you'd get from a TV remote) for controlling their project or using their Arduino as a universal remote.  Steps 2 and 3 will walk you through that.  I've seen a handful of people asking about calibrating Parallax gas sensors and Step 5 will do that for you (complete with pre-written sketch).  Most steps have sketches I wrote that are full of good notes in case you want tweakable sketches about working with IR pulses, random(), randomSeed() and Switch/Case.

Good stuff and definitely a unique outcome.  It's a pretty fun read too.

Tchnclfl

Jul 26, 2010, 10:31 pm Last Edit: Jul 26, 2010, 10:32 pm by Tchnclfl Reason: 1
Yeah I saw that on instructables and was pretty confused.

Now that I actually took a look at it though, sounds kind of funny ;D!

Jeremy1998

Now just install one in every seat on the couches, and your in business! And then make some presets so that it's like:

"Can we watch channel 49?"
"Sure!"
*FART!*
"Thanks!"
"No problem!"

amacmullen14

Hmm, I didn't know that gas sensors like that could sense farts...
I'll keep that in mind next time I want something to be triggered by farts.

How bout on eof those air fresheners that sprays when you push a button, but instead of a button, use an arduino with the gas sensor!

retrolefty

Hmm, I didn't know that gas sensors like that could sense farts...
I'll keep that in mind next time I want something to be triggered by farts.

Sensor responds to methane no doubt? However wouldn't this project be better based on a Basic Stamp board?  ;D

Lefty

Meinaart

amacmullen14

Well, if I were doing this project, I would add an extension cable so the arduino could be a bit further from the action near the sensor...
:D

Funky Diver

AWESOME... just blinking AWESOME!!!

Someone farts in a bus... sets the air fans full blast to rid the smell.  I see applications in airplanes too... *FART*... Red sirens, air hostesses armed with air fresheners.  Lights dim, spot light over the offender with the question music from Who Wants to be a Millionaire.   :D

Schmidtn

Jul 27, 2010, 12:51 am Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 12:53 am by Schmidtn Reason: 1
Yeah, the methane sensor can sniff out farts.  It's actually more sensitive to H2 gas than to CH4, and up to about half of most people's farts are H2.  But I think methane's more associated with farts, so for simplicity I just stuck with that.  Plus I've never seen anybody using farts as an input so I ran with it.

I figured a few people wouldn't like the idea of farting on an Arduino [I hope the Italians aren't watching], but I think it adds a little bit to the comedic value.  I do own a Stamp Basic Homework Board that I spent every last birthday penny on, way back in the '90s when I was in middle school, but I use an Arduino for all my microcontroller needs now.  It's just so much easier to use and the community is a lot larger and you get the help you need faster.  But I'm still a huge fan of Parallax's input sensors.

Thanks for all the kind comments! :)

retrolefty

It's just so much easier to use and the community is a lot larger and you get the help you need faster.  But I'm still a huge fan of Parallax's input sensors.

Yea, but I would still much rather fart on a Basic Stamp then an Arduino. It's an open source Vs proprietary thing.  ;)

Lefty

Tchnclfl

Yea, but I would still much rather fart on a Basic Stamp then an Arduino. It's an open source Vs proprietary thing.

Basic Stamp, I fart in your general direction!

Hahahaha ;D

Go Up