Highly Anticipated 32-bit "Due" due When?

randomvibe:
It'd be nice if someone found a way to link the RPi to the Due.

Ethernet shield and network cable? (in most cases you can connect 2 network cards by just plugging a network cable in the network cards without using a router)
You'll have to use fixed IP addresses in this case.
Best regards
Jantje

Pinout of the Raspberry PI GPIO header -> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/384
So it has I2C, serial and SPI. I'm waiting to buy a Raspberry till there is enough online documentation on how to use these pins. I would like to connect an Arduino to the Raspberry for a robot. For a programming noob like me the raspberry is to difficult to program but if there is enough online info/tutorials then maybe it's worth buying. I bought a book to learn Python some time ago, might be useful :slight_smile:

it has I2C

It does but at the moment there is no drivers for it, they are hoping some one will write one.

There's been a lot of discussion about the DNC pins, you would think they'd use them for something useful like more IO.

if there is enough online info/tutorials then maybe it's worth buying.

It will take a while but should happen. I don't know if those ports (SPI etc) have drivers yet, they are hoping that the community will write a lot of the drivers last I heard.

EDIT: Guzzumped by Mike.

Rob

Is the end near for Arduino? If it's only a matter of time before the overly hyped RaspberryPi gets drivers for SPI and I2C, and eventually adds 12bit ADCs (or even 16bit), and if R-Pi keeps the price equal to or lower than the Arduino Mega 2560, the end is near. Just like vacuum tubes when transistors came out.

Single board computers (or microcomputers) will overtake microcontrollers in the foreseeable future. I think it's in Arduino's best interest to expedite the 32-bit "Due" or dump it and make the leap to a microcomputer.

Is the end near for Arduino?

No, it is a totally different beast to the arduino and is not well suited to a lot of arduino like applications.
It is very poor at generating precise timing and has very feeble output pins and it has an operating system on it which is always the death knell for any real embedded application.

I just read on a blog (deleted the page and can't find it now) that the RPi will draw 700mA. That can't be right can it?

EDIT: I just read on their forum that it's more like 300mA but then someone else said nearer to 600.

Rob

Rob
This blog states http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/260

Model B owners using networking and high-current USB peripherals will require a supply which can source 700mA (many phone chargers meet this requirement). Model A owners with powered USB devices will be able to get away with a much lower current capacity (300mA feels like a reasonable safety margin).

So I guess it depends on having model A or Model B.
I've even seen people advising going for 1 A.

RandomVibe
I think that running a OS on a system is the long term solution. Think about phones running OS-es.
I don't like this tendency but it can not be denied. How far away this long term will be is another matter.
But even in this future I think there is a place for Arduino (or PIC boards in general) probably smaller but still there.

Best regards
Jantje

that the RPi will draw 700mA. That can't be right can it?

Yes it depends what it is doing.

They said in the webnar the other day that it can go up to 750mA when it is doing a lot of high def graphics. That is why they say you need a USB charger and not to power it off another computer.

I think that running a OS on a system is the long term solution.

No it is not.

That is what went "wrong" with desktop computers and that is why the arduino is so popular. It is a programmable hardware device not a computer.
The Pi, sits a bit between the two but it leans more towards the computer than the controller. That is why it will not kill the arduino as long as people want to do physical computing, that require real time control.

it can go up to 750mA

I guess a piezo energy-harvesting PSU is out of the question then :slight_smile:

Rob

Mike (or should I say grumpy)

Grumpy_Mike:

I think that running a OS on a system is the long term solution.

No it is not.

I'm sorry to have to disagree. When microsoft started with their windows CE I thought it wouldn't last. It is one of those rare occasions in life where I was wrong 8).
Now those small device OS's are everywhere. I don't think it is a good idea and I feel it is a waste of resources but still this is the way we are going as a society.

I agree there will be a market for Arduino when the OS devices are in the lead. This for several reasons. So Arduino will not be dead but I feel artists and beginners will -in the future- be more likely to use high level applications to "train" or "configure" their applications rather than code in a low level language as C++.
But the people needing: real time, or wanting small power usage, or plenty of other things will still be with Arduino.
Best regards
Jantje

When microsoft started with their windows CE I thought it wouldn't last. It is one of those rare occasions in life where I was wrong smiley-cool.

I have worked on windows CE systems for a living. It is rubbish, there are increasingly less and less of those systems about and you will find there are far more ARM chips about.
The only good thing about Windows CE is I got sent to Las Vegas on a CE conference, and got to walk down the Grand Canyon at the weekend.

It was reported that Bill Gates said that the Apple business model only worked if you had Steve Jobs.

When Steve was told this he said that the Microsoft business model only worked if you didn't mind releasing crappy products.

Grumpy_Mike:
It was reported that Bill Gates said that the Apple business model only worked if you had Steve Jobs.

Is part of the reason why Arduino is ARDUINO because of Massimo Banzi and David Cuartielles? Which one is the Steve Jobs of Arduino? Would Steve Jobs tolerate such a poor schedule for the 32bit Due?

If the Due never comes out, things "Arduino" will still continue on IMHO. The Due is simply a addition to an already successful product, it is not a fix or update to something that needs improvement. If it does arrive we will be able to add more sophisticated projects to the Arduino ability list which would be great!

Apparently a big announcement is coming "after Easter" according to the Arduino team on twitter. "After Easter" can mean anytime between now and October. Let's face it, Arduino's track record for meeting commitments is spotty at best. Why October? Because their evil business partner, RadioShack, will probably want the "Due" on their shelves in time for Christmas shoppers.

My Christmas wish... aside from the "Due" release, I'd like to see Python for an advanced Arduino board. Advanced how? The natural progression beyond 8-bit was the 16-bit XMega chips, and now very soon 32-bit. Seems like the natural progression after 32-bit are microcomputers like the overly hyped R-Pi. Beaglebone is sort of there but its too expensive and its main programming language is Java. I suspect Arduino will eventually join that market too.

Apparently a big announcement is coming "after Easter" according to the Arduino team on twitter.

Yes I saw that, I for one am very interested to see what they are releasing. I was going to buy an EV kit to get a head start learning the architecture but they won't tell us which processor :frowning:

Rob

I'm sorry "after Easter" only states a no sooner then date, how long is the outlying possiblity? That could mean any time before Easter 2013 is my mind. :wink:

Lefty

You cynic you :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:
You cynic you :slight_smile:

I find realism is quite often mistaken for cynicism. :wink: