Go Down

Topic: Forum software open discussion and suggestions feature requests. (Read 3254 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

My own thoughts on the "locale" is that some members may not like the idea as a matter of privacy.
IIRC this Forum used to display info about a person's location based on data they entered into their Profile. That seems to me to deal with privacy issues as a person could leave the data blank.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lastchancename

I'm not suggesting their bank, and street details, just a country - so specific advice can be more relevant.

It's no use suggesting I get a part at Fry's when I live in Australia.

Just adding to the thoughts.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

ballscrewbob

I understand what you and Robin are saying.

Just that some people are really very conscious of thier privacy and it is also something that Arduino themselves take quite seriously being based in the EU with some draconian EU privacy laws.

That can be a fine line that they need to tread in some jurisdictions.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

some draconian EU privacy laws
That needs to be replaced with "very welcome, but probably not strong enough"

Note, however, that my suggestion in Reply #60 leaves the decision about showing location (or not) entirely at the discretion of the member.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

I agree that an "OPT IN" approach would be better Robin.
Certainly not an "opt-out" as I find that to assume too much in terms of privacy.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Certainly not an "opt-out" as I find that to assume too much in terms of privacy.
Agree 100%

...R

ballscrewbob

Given the seeming lack of interest in this topic by most (not all ) I dont think anyone would have a cause for complaint if Arduino just swapped the software lock stock and two smoking barrels.

UKHeliBob

I dont think anyone would have a cause for complaint if Arduino just swapped the software lock stock and two smoking barrels.
They might not have cause for complaint but I bet that would not stop them complaining

There is, of course, a problem in that most members do not visit this section of the forum
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

ballscrewbob

I think now may be the wrong time to make it a global topic but its a thought for when things calm down a bit.

Robin2

There is, of course, a problem in that most members do not visit this section of the forum
That is compounded, IMHO, by the general lack of interaction with the Forum by the "backroom guys". Very few people will have come in contact with them, or even be aware of their existence.

I do hope, if the time comes when there is to be a significant change, that the "backroom guys" will give everyone a lot of advance notice. One way to do that would be to open up a new Forum section at the top of the first page where it can't be missed.

On the other hand, I assume changes will now not happen until after the coronavirus problems have ended.

...R

PerryBebbington

I read this last night, having not noticed it before.

Some comments based on what I remember reading  :smiley-confuse: :

Personal data like home town, country etc. I don't see an issue with being asked this kind of thing provided two things are clear:
* Providing the information is voluntary
* If provided the information will be published on this site and the user consents to this.

I think the painful process for posting an image needs sorting out; I certainly didn't post images properly when I first got here, it was just one more thing to think about that I didn't want to be bothered with. Far too difficult.

New member should be automatically directed to the forum rules when they make their first post (first 5 posts?), just clicking 'accept' or 'next' or whatever it is a short time after going to the page should result in a reminder to read them. There should be a warning that failing to follow the instructions will result in unfriendly, unhelpful answers.

Automatic code detection with a warning to use code tags would be good, perhaps turning off after 100 posts.

Agree that any new site should be simple, I am not at all interested in fancy colours, things that flash, things that move around, pop-ups and all the other BXXXXX that people ruin web sites with. Have a look at Facebook, a perfect example of how to make an awful looking site.

Yes, revise the subject headings, some are used a lot, some hardly at all.

Probably include at the top of the forum menu page something like:
'Arduino forum for getting help from volunteers for your project or just to learn more about Arduino, programming and electronics'. (This could be added to the existing forum menu at the top. No where does it actually say what the forum is for, people are supposed to guess).

Also, there's another thing, if only I could think what it is...

Robin2

I read Reply #70 before the word was replaced with XXXXXX and I agreed with the word that was there. I can also understand why such a word might be be excised as inappropriate for junior readers. However could I suggest that the XXXXXX be replaced with Bxxxxx so as to leave a hint for the adult readers.

...R

Robin2

I see that the banner at the top of every page has changed and has a new set of links
   profile    my plans    sign out    etc

It looks like they intend to stick with the existing Forum software.

...R

PS ... the text for the links is too big and they don't fit across the screen

ballscrewbob

The header is not really related to the "forum" so much as the "forum" is related to the "web site" which hosts the header  :smiley-razz:

ballscrewbob

Didn't notice that bit.
Yep so still pooched.
Somebody should get thier bottom spanked for the bodge job.

Whatever you do DONT look for "bottom spank gif"

I warned yas all !..

Go Up