Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 559155 times) previous topic - next topic

GoForSmoke

I ordered an RPi 4 with 2G RAM, want to keep the Watts down. They just released an 8G version.

Also bought a case with small fan.

The RPi 3 runs a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit chip. The RPi 4 runs a 64-bit OS.
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Robin2

Jul 10, 2020, 10:07 am Last Edit: Jul 10, 2020, 10:07 am by Robin2
Epson Ecotank ET-2750 printer (with scan and copy).

This replaces an Epson L355 which is just over 4.5 years old and still has not used its original ink - the black is now pretty low. Of course this non-use is what has been responsible for its demise. Some of the print nozzles are stuck and I just have not been able to clean them.

Resolution for self - print at least one page every day!

The new printer has double size black ink reservoir AND came with a spare double-size bottle of black ink. To quote one of my mother's favourite expressions "It'll see me out" :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Epson Ecotank ET-2750 printer (with scan and copy).

This replaces an Epson L355 which is just over 4.5 years old and still has not used its original ink - the black is now pretty low. Of course this non-use is what has been responsible for its demise. Some of the print nozzles are stuck and I just have not been able to clean them.

Resolution for self - print at least one page every day!

The new printer has double size black ink reservoir AND came with a spare double-size bottle of black ink. To quote one of my mother's favourite expressions "It'll see me out" :)

...R
I love Epsons for the ability to drop your own CISS in for less than $80 inc. a good supply of ink
Been doing it for years and yes I never use all the ink before a mech failure finally takes it down (3-5 years).

They often change something about the cartridge so sometimes all you need to do is buy the new set for that aspect and hook up the old CISS tanks.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

I love Epsons for the ability to drop your own CISS in for less than $80 inc. a good supply of ink
I vaguely remember hearing about that some years ago when I had an A3 photo printer - but I never followed it up. It may be that I could not justify the capital outlay at the time. I couldn't afford (or was too mean to pay for) the print cartridges either so I eventually gave the printer to someone else (can't remember if I got any money for it - I think not, I think I was just happy it was not going into a skip).

The Ecotank printers have that type of system built in.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Jul 10, 2020, 03:19 pm Last Edit: Jul 10, 2020, 03:43 pm by ballscrewbob
Just watch out for the waste tank Robin
Epson charge an arm and both legs for it.
There are super cheap alternatives for that aspect on the market.

Also DO NOT allow firmware updates to an EPSON !
They can trigger EOL alarms  sooner than anticipated.

I usually wait until an Epson goes on sale super cheap <$70 and then check the CISS aspect.
SO 70+80 = a printer that is going to get me more than my monies worth

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Jul 10, 2020, 03:44 pm Last Edit: Jul 10, 2020, 03:46 pm by Robin2
Just watch out for the waste tank Robin
Do you mean the pad where the waste ink goes?

I read somewhere that the printer has some sort of counter that eventually stops you using it unless it is reset - and there needs to be an external reset process. There are a few things on YouTube about it. I don't know if the L355 had the same system but it was never triggered while I was using it.

I had been vaguely thinking of buying the better ET-7700 as it has an internal paper tray. It has a replaceable "maintenance box" which (I assume) is the waste ink repository and the Epson price is only £9.00. However they don't seem to be available anywhere and I suspect I would have got no value for the extra price.

Your comment on the upgrades is noted. I'm not using it with WiFi but I think if I did it would try to update itself.

...R

ballscrewbob

yes the reset process can be often two different methods for the tank counter.

One is a simple chip replacement and the other is a firmware hack.

The newer Epson also have a super firmware hack that actually disables the cartridge check and the waste tank checks !

Works out about $8 per year or less of you opt for a lifetime crack.
Still researching that one as it will simplify ink replacement even for the cheaper Epsons.

Robin2

The newer Epson also have a super firmware hack that actually disables the cartridge check and the waste tank checks !
I'm finding your terminology a bit confusing.

My printer has neither a cartridge nor a waste tank.

...R

ballscrewbob

No it has a pad system which will at some point need a change or a hack.

I was generalising too much.

Robin2

No it has a pad system which will at some point need a change or a hack.
Thanks. That's my understanding also.

...R

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

westfw

I prefer laser printers for precisely the "I don't use it often enough to keep ink/nozzles from drying out" reason.  A low-end color laser costs about the same as a mid-range inkjet, and some of them have lower-cost replacement cartridges and/or refills.  (otherwise, after the couple of years it takes to use up the initial toner, it's time to buy a new printer...  Sigh.)

CrossRoads

Jul 11, 2020, 12:06 am Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020, 12:10 am by CrossRoads
I bought an HP Color LaserJet CP-1215 for just that reason - back in 2007! It is still running great. We don't print a ton, so cartridges last quite a while.  Prior to that we went thru a couple of $50 inkjets that didn't use much either, so there was always some messing around needed when you wanted to use it - plugged this, blocked that, streaking - and sloooooow. And if you printed double sided, you got this soggy feeling piece of paper out of it.
Never a problem with the inkjet.
I also only use HP cartridges, not the clone replacements or the cheaper refill it yourself or something kits.
Just bought another set of them at Staples, the Cyan and Magenta had finally run out. Could have save $3 or something practically trivial if I ordered online and waited 4 days, but I needed to print that day.

I think at the time the "all in one" copier/fax/printer units were coming out, so we got for like 1/2 price - about $100 at OfficeMax.
It's outlasted every computer we had at the time, the TV, the fridge, the stove, cell phones, everything except stereo equipment - the surround system for the TV and my even older DVD stereo system that I've had since we bought the house in 1990, and my Technics Belt Drive record player from college, back in 1980.

I see refurbished models on Amazon for  $191.64.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Robin2

There are a couple of things I might like to do for which a laser would be better (transparencies and masks for etching brass) and I considered a laser before I bought the ET-2750 but the price of toner cartridges is just extra-terrestrial. A replacement bottle of Epson ink costs about £9.00 and will last a claimed 5,000 pages - maybe two years.

The other thing that put me off was the weight of the laser printers. The two that I was considering weighed about 20kg. I don't have any place that would support that weight.

And I have the impression that inkjet printers are better for photos - as I had ruled out the laser for other reasons I did not check this out.

...R

micwall

4 big servos; one of which doesn't work :(
Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast.

-Lightning McQueen

Go Up