Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 563276 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

Some Seeed products...
Their rather neat-looking Grove "beginner kit"

A couple of the SAMD21 Xiaos:

And some RISC-V Longan Nanos:

No, I don't really have any plans for them...

TomGeorge

Jul 16, 2020, 04:18 pm Last Edit: Jul 16, 2020, 04:19 pm by TomGeorge
Hi,
Due to an unfortunate accident my;

Coffee cup crashed.

So this time grandad got a nerd coffee cup.

Tom.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

TomGeorge

Arthur, was a very insightful man.

ChrisTenone

I think I am going to buy a computer.

I hear they are all the rage these days. Dr. Clarke was a bit shortsighted though wasn't he. A CRT console that could talk to a mainframe? We had that in my high school in 1970! I love the 60s's look - groovy baby!
What, I need to say something else too?

westfw

A CRT console that could talk to a mainframe? We had that in my high school in 1970!
Really?  We had ASR33s in 1977, except for the physics department who had a Hazeltine-2000 (Hazeltine was a local company; they probably donated it. (I worked there, summer 77!))  CRTs were very rare back then...

Henry_Best

Really?  We had ASR33s in 1977, except for the physics department who had a Hazeltine-2000 (Hazeltine was a local company; they probably donated it. (I worked there, summer 77!))  CRTs were very rare back then...
There was one in every television, so nor rare at all. I saw a (green screen) CRT on a very early mainframe (a calculator has more power than it did) in the early 60's. 

groundFungus

When I took Fortran in the early '70s there may or may not have been a CRT on the mainframe,  I never really saw the inside of the computer room.  Just handed my stack of cards into the lady at the front desk and received my yards of printed output at the end of the day.
You will save everyone's time if you read and follow the forum guidelines.  :)           
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

TomGeorge

When I took Fortran in the early '70s there may or may not have been a CRT on the mainframe,  I never really saw the inside of the computer room.  Just handed my stack of cards into the lady at the front desk and received my yards of printed output at the end of the day.
Ditto, although our computer centre had a big window in the corridor so you could see the Winchester drives and the line printer, which you could hear through the double glazed window.
Also had  a "mini computer" 6 foot high rack and a teletype machine beside it.
It ran BASIC, stored code on paper tape, you had to book to get to use it.
Wrote my AMSAT prediction code on it for my fellow local Amateur Radio operators in my part of the world.
"Those were the days"....

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

Jul 31, 2020, 07:55 pm Last Edit: Jul 31, 2020, 07:59 pm by TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL
We had a permanent TTY maintenance guy.
Despite the ink, oil, grease and paper fibres, he was, bizarrely, always immaculately suited and groomed.
I really don't know how he did it.

A pair of ICL-450s (IBM 360 equivalents) ran the entire CS department student load (apart from a handful of PDP8 and PDP11) the college's payroll and other agency work.

One had 128K, the other 256K.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

larryd

Jul 31, 2020, 10:07 pm Last Edit: Jul 31, 2020, 10:12 pm by larryd
Use to repair 33s AND 28s (marvellous high quality mechanical machines :) ), card punches (bloodletting devils) , card readers, line printers (100db) , mainframes (the air conditioning was great), oh the pain of it all !

The TTY 28s were eye opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpcwhmVaV8&feature=youtu.be   

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

westfw

CRTs were very rare back then...There was one in every television, so nor rare at all.
I meant CRT terminals for computers.   Your TVs (mostly B&W, in 1970) didn't have video inputs, and a mainframe might have ONE display attached (the the famous SpaceWar display on the PDP/1 - 1963, and only $14k - $42k each!  Over 50 PDP/1s were sold!)
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/userdata/files/digital-precision-crt-display-type-30.pdf

Wikipedia says:

The Datapoint 3300 from Computer Terminal Corporation was announced in 1967 and shipped in 1969, making it one of the earliest stand-alone display-based terminals.
I'm just not believing that CRT dial-in terminals trickled down to high schools by 1970.

ballscrewbob

Always been a side hobby but with limited finances this is currently all I can afford.
That said I hear a lot of good reports on them so now all I need to do is come up with some simple VHF antennas and a long wire for HF and convince the wife they are for something else  ;D

This is the one I got

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Johan_Ha

Just handed my stack of cards into the lady at the front desk and received my yards of printed output at the end of the day.
How many "Hello, world" lines per yard?

If you ask for help and write 'u' instead of 'you' because you think it's convenient, I will write 'no' instead of 'yes'. For same reasons.

TomGeorge

Aug 03, 2020, 03:16 am Last Edit: Aug 03, 2020, 03:17 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
@ballscrewbob, I have a USB stick type that I bought ages ago.
I just ordered one of those that you show, need to update!!!

Latest purchase;
For grandsons 4th birthday.

And for me.

17cm, moving, walking robot, gunna see if its hackable.. :) :) :)

Tom... :)

Go Up