Go Down

Topic: using a bridge H to control two dc motors as steppers?? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

copachino

hi all, i was thinking if its possible to use a bridge H a two dc motor to behave as a stepper..... or its not possible to do??

MarkT

A stepper motor has two independent windings (sometimes each one is split in two), and needs at least 4 wires to control.

In bipolar motor each winding is driven by its own H-bridge.  In unipolar motor each half of each winding is driven by a transistor/darlington or FET.

So if you have 2 stepper motors you need 4 H-bridges or 8 transistors.

If you have 2 ordinary DC motors you don't have a stepper motor in the first place, they are entirely different in their function.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Grumpy_Mike

For a look at the difference between normal motors and stepping motors see:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Workshop/Motors_1.html
and the three other motor tutorials acceded from this page.

if its possible to use a bridge H a two dc motor to behave as a stepper.

Not possible.

copachino

thanks for replying, i just that i saw that my canon printer uses a bridge H an two dc motor to drive the printing.....   anyway thanks

Grumpy_Mike

i just that i saw that my canon printer uses a bridge H an two dc motor to drive the printing

It might do but that doesn't mean that they are being used as stepping motors. It could be that there is some sort of shaft encoder like the inside of a mechanical mouse so the software knows the position of the motor. Or it could be it simply uses the time the motor is activated along with end stop detectors. It doesn't have to be a stepping motor.

Go Up