Go Down

Topic: What chips can I program? (Read 2008 times) previous topic - next topic

joakimk

I am considering buying the pre-built Arduino USB programmer. What chips can I program with the programmer, and is it really easy to use on a Mac (Osx 10.3.9)? I have tried to install a set of Unix programs/libraries to run avrdude on my mac, but it just won't work.
(http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~buechley/diy/diy_tank.html)

Is this the unit I need to just get started programming the chips already?  ;)

- Joakim
Bergen, Norway

joakimk

It seems to me that the Arduino board is not meant for programming microchips, that are meant to be removed from the board and soldered into other circuits?

It's not like Atmel's STK500, right?

mellis

Right.  The chip on the Arduino board comes with a bootloader pre-burned, allowing you to upload programs to it without an external programmer.  All you need is a USB cable to use the board.  It should work fine from a Mac (though version 0005 of the software might not work on 10.3.9; you'll need to download version 0004 or wait for 0006).  You can remove the chip and put it in another circuit.  

In theory, it's possible to use the Arduino as a substitute for an STK500, but we haven't gotten it to work yet (mostly because no one's had time to work on it).

neurascenic

I am not sure here, but what I think joakimk is asking for is can the atmega 8 chip be used in a custom circuit.

That is, program the chip, then remove it and use it elsewhere.  Such as a standalone circuit, that has no USB or serial conectivity or any of the other items that may not be needed for a particular task.

Which, as far as I can tell, there would be no problem with that.

The only issue is, there are only two ic's that can be programed right now.  the 8  and the 168
However, as I understand it, the growth and excitement of the arduino platform means that this will not always be the case.  Of course, I shouldn't say much as that level of stuff is way over my head.

ñ

Go Up