Go Down

Topic: Arduino code won't upload with Ethernet Shield attached... (Read 16539 times) previous topic - next topic

jurs

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't help.
Is there any other other hardware connected to the Arduino or Ethernet-Shield?

Is there a SD card inserted in the SD slot of the Ethernet shield?

Does the problem occur with a sketch written by your own?
Or does the problem occur with any of the Ethernet example sketches?

ridge

All sketches I've tried (examples as well as my own modified examples)
work fine as long as I disconnect the shield, cycle power on the UNO,
upload, then reconnect the shield.

No, there is no other hardware connected except for ethernet RJ45
and USB cable.

jurs

All sketches I've tried (examples as well as my own modified examples)
work fine as long as I disconnect the shield, cycle power on the UNO,
upload, then reconnect the shield.
Sorry, I'm completely clueless what might be wrong with your hardware.

If it were my hardware, I'd start exchanging each component:
- change USB cable
- change Ethernet shield
- change UNO board
- try upload from another PC
To find out which hardware (USB cable, shield, board or PC) causes the failure.

ridge

Thanks for your responses.

I cannot use another UNO board or another Ethernet shield (I don't have others).
However, I've tried using a PC (Windows 7) as well as a Mac (Mavericks).
I'm using IDE 1.6.1 (I noticed that 1.6.3 is available so I can try that).

However, I'm thinking that atmegatron's solution may work.  I'm hoping several
people have tried it and can confirm that solves the problem.

knockouta

atmegatron's solution works fine for my arduino!
Thank you!!

wizzchip78c

atmegatron's worked for me too..

I attached a photo with the one I removed.

nephtyz

I'm having relatively the same issue...

Without the ethernet shield my mega 2560 works fine but when it's plugged in the mega won't run any sketch and I can't upload one.

If I try to upload a sketch with the shield connected I get this error:
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

My shield looks like this:

Should I remove the brown capacitor right beside the reset switch?

4est

removing the capacitor worked for me too!, thanks

nymrod

I have the same issue as reported here and same Ethernet shield as nephtyz.  Did the removal of the capacitor nearest the reset button in the image from 20th Dec 2015 solve the issue?

4mydogmax

I removed the Cap nearest the reset switch and my problems were solved.

Thanks a lot, much frustration will now be avoided

broko1

I have the same issue as reported here and same Ethernet shield as nephtyz.  Did the removal of the capacitor nearest the reset button in the image from 20th Dec 2015 solve the issue?
I have the same board , and same problem, did removing the (only) capacitor next to reset work?

acerbus

I have the same board , and same problem, did removing the (only) capacitor next to reset work?
Hi everybody.

Quick solution that worked for me: cut (or bend out) the reset pin from the ethernet shield. No solder, no capacitor, nothing

Now the long story:
I had the ethernet shield working fine on an Arduino nano, with only the minimum connections made with jump wires. When I migrated to a Arduino Mega 2560 (I needed more RAM), and mounted the shield over, I couldn't flash it anymore. I did read the forums and the like, but I wasn't sure which capacitor to remove, nor the manual reset trick worked for me.
So, in a short motorcycle ride, I realized that the shield worked on the nano without the reset connected. Thus I removed that pin and start uploading sketches happily.

Good luck!

broko1

Hi everybody.

Quick solution that worked for me: cut (or bend out) the reset pin from the ethernet shield. No solder, no capacitor, nothing

Now the long story:
I had the ethernet shield working fine on an Arduino nano, with only the minimum connections made with jump wires. When I migrated to a Arduino Mega 2560 (I needed more RAM), and mounted the shield over, I couldn't flash it anymore. I did read the forums and the like, but I wasn't sure which capacitor to remove, nor the manual reset trick worked for me.
So, in a short motorcycle ride, I realized that the shield worked on the nano without the reset connected. Thus I removed that pin and start uploading sketches happily.

Good luck!

Thanks, but this didn't work for me :(

jufese

I have the same problem. After speaking with the online shop "tuelectronica" (http://www.tuelectronica.es/tutoriales/arduino/arduino-ethernet-shield.html) I have noticed that the shield use the com port, so that it is imposible use the serial to comunicate the pc and the Arduino Uno. It is posible with Mega for instance, there are 3 serial.
The solution of the shop ist load the sketch without the shield and after put it and all the code will work. The problem is that in the code it is not posible use serial.print or serial.write or any other funtion with serial. Neither the serial monitor.

clf139

I had this same problem except with the Motor Shield V2.3 and it turns out that I must have used too much solder when soldering the headers to the shield because two pins were shorted together. I wasnt able to see the short because the stacking headers cover the solder joint visible from the top of the board but as a last resort I bent the headers to reveal the solder joints and then used solder wick to remove the short. Such as dumb mistake but I'm relieved that I found the short because none of the other suggestions worked for me.

Go Up