0.96" I2C OLED - no display

I have purchased this 1306 OLED from eBay and cannot get it to display anything. I have previous experience with 5110, 1602 and 9325, I2C and SPI so have gotten past first base with displays.

I cannot get anything to display and have now drawn a blank with what to try... help needed please - any other libraries, config options, something else...

I have tried these libraries with DEVICE addresses 0x3c, 0x3D, 0x78 and 0x7A

Adafruit_SSD1306_master, Adafruit_GFX_Library_master with ssd1306_128x64_i2c.ino

and

_u8glib_master with GraphicsTest.pde trying each of

U8GLIB_SSD1306_128X64 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_NONE|U8G_I2C_OPT_DEV_0);  // I2C / TWI
U8GLIB_SSD1306_128X64 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_DEV_0|U8G_I2C_OPT_NO_ACK|U8G_I2C_OPT_FAST); // Fast I2C / TWI
U8GLIB_SSD1306_128X64 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_NO_ACK);  // Display which does not send AC
U8GLIB_SSD1306_128X32 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_NONE);  // I2C / TWI
U8GLIB_SSD1306_64X48 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_NONE); // I2C / TWI

also

MicroLCD from Stanley Huang with lcdhello.ino trying with

lcd.begin();
and
  lcd.begin(4, DEVICE);

I am also curious as to why there are 6 pins whereas many similar devices have 4 and none I can see use/explain that D/C pin - so what is it?

How can I tell what driver there is on it. It appears to be a board with resistors and capacitors only... is that it!?

|500x500

|500x500

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191589489202

How can I tell what driver there is on it.

The driver will be on the back of the OLED.

Did you try contacting the vendor?

AWOL: The driver will be on the back of the OLED.

Did you try contacting the vendor?

Note: 1.If you decide to buy OLED display, you must confirm that you can make it work by yourself, we\'ll haven\'t any technology support except all the specification. Thanks for your understanding and support. 2.Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. Thank you!

AWOL: The driver will be on the back of the OLED.

Skinny black rectangle! Blimey

Have you got I2C pullups fitted on SDA and SCL?

Have you tried a simple I2C scanner?

Try that with different combinations of the RST and D/C pins grounded or pulled high.

AWOL:
Have you got I2C pullups fitted on SDA and SCL?

Have you tried a simple I2C scanner?

Try that with different combinations of the RST and D/C pins grounded or pulled high.

done the pullups thing

done the scanner thing - none found - like many others have reported

will try the RST and D/C thing after lunch

I think the D/C pin is to change the I2C device address from 0x3C to 0x3D by tying it to high for 0x3D and low for 0x3C as read from a header file for a 1308 display.

Are you sure it's an SSD1306 and not an SSH1106?

AWOL: Are you sure it's an SSD1306 and not an SSH1106?

Only from what the vendor eBay listing says which is why I was hoping to find a chip on it I could read something from.

100% new and high quality No font: take the word with modulo software Needn't backlight, the display unit can self-luminous High resolution: 128 * 64 Viewing angle:> 160 ° Supports many control chip: Fully compatible with Arduino, 51 Series, MSP430 Series, STM32 / 2, CSR IC, etc. Ultra-low power consumption: 0.06W(working normally) Voltage: 2.2V ~ 5.5V DC Working Temperature: -30 ℃ ~ 70 ℃ Module Size: 29.28*27.1mm I2C/IIC Interface, need 2 IO only. Driver IC: SSD1306 Light Color: Blue

Do you have suspicions then about its type?

No, it's just that some seem to be 1106, not 1306.

The D/C thing being 0x3C vs 0x3D sounds sensible - how did you get on with the RST pin?

I'm not liking the Adafruit library even though I can't get it to make the display show anything. Even the unmodified example comes back with this in the IDE.

Low memory available, stability problems may occur.

So when I add some Serial.print debug code the program stops doing its stuff. There won't be much space, if any, left over for my code :(

AWOL: No, it's just that some seem to be 1106, not 1306.

The D/C thing being 0x3C vs 0x3D sounds sensible - how did you get on with the RST pin?

I don't know if it does anything or not. I've tried it with a lot of variations but I am suspicious about the Adafruit library now. The other two still haven't come up with the goods.

u8g had a small success in so much that the screen showed some horizontal bars (but that wasn't what supposed to be showing) part way through its test sequence BUT it simply would not do it repeatably.

So when I add some Serial.print debug code the program stops doing its stuff

You’re using "Serial.println (F(“your message here”));, of course?

Have you tried the Sainsmart libraries?

No, not the Sainsmart. Having trouble finding them :(

Have you got a link please?

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-1-3-spi-serial-128x64-blue-oled.html

AWOL: http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-1-3-spi-serial-128x64-blue-oled.html

Thanks.

I' tried it as 1306 and 1106

Also tried Seeed, OzOLED and shMaster (!)

Had a go with a 1106 dedicated library from somewhere.

Sainsmart looks a lot like MultiLCD (I tried MicroLCD)

I am really beginning to think I have a dud.

Have you tried swapping SDA and SCL?

AWOL:
Have you tried swapping SDA and SCL?

Yes

With and without pullups

Checked the voltages

Tried 3.3v

The thing that did it for me was that the limited screen display with one of the libraries wasn’t consistent which is what made me suspicious. If it was repeatable I may have thought otherwise

Hi I have an OLED Display and I find a driver här:

http://www.rinkydinkelectronics.com/library.php?id=80

The exempel work right out of the box.
Give it a try.

Mikael

Try searching instrucables.com There are a number of tutorials getting different versions on OLED to work.