0.96'' OLED Stopped Working

I've had a good search around, but can't find any similar forum posts. I've been using a 0.96'' OLED display I got from ebay, which connects via I2C. I've been having a good deal of success, getting it to display a variety of things, although I had omitted the recommended 4.7kOhm pull up resistors, until, as I was uploading some code to the arduino tonight, the screen went blank. I tried the sample code I'd started off with in case I'd unwittingly deleted something, but still to no avail, nothing had been changed from it working moments before.

Does anyone know any obvious reasons why this might not be working?

Could I have damaged the display by omitting the pull up resistors?

According to the ebay ad the display is designed for 5V, so I've been running it off the 5V pin, (I've also been using this pin to power a reed switch, but as far as I understand, this shouldn't cause any issues).

Any help much appreciated, Jake

Ad is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251499783216?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Those work with 3.3V and 5V. Without pullup resistor won't damage it. Perhaps it just broke. When you run the i2c_scanner, is it still detected ? http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner

Didn’t think of trying that, great shout! Will try today.

Oops, I just thought of something... Some of those displays can not make the I2C lines low, and they need a special library. I don't know if this is one of those displays.

Peter_n: Those work with 3.3V and 5V.

Are you sure? I know adafruit's AF931 works on 5V not just 3V3, but that's because they have level shifting on board. The OP's one might not have that luxury.....

Jimbo, to confirm, according to the data provided for it on the ebay ad, it's rated for 3-5V, although there is obviously a risk that this is incorrect.

I ran the I2C scanner and there is now nothing showing up on the bus, which I'd have to conclude means it broken. Bit of a bummer, but it was only £5, so will put it down to expensive learning.

In trying to understand what might have caused the failure, I wondered if, for example, the issue happened due to Vcc exceeding +5V? Could I prevent something similar in the future by adding a 5V voltage regulator to the Vcc and GND circuit, to prevent this happening in the future? I can't say I know enough about arduinos to know if the 5V pin can exceed 5V, so please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

According to the specs :

5V.This pin outputs a regulated 5V from the regulator on the board.

Hi

From my work with u8glib and a lot of different OLEDs from far east (i do not own the adafruit OLED), i can say this: - There are two different controllers used for 128x64 pixel oleds: SSD1306 and SH1106 - The SSD1306 can not provide the I2C bus without additional hardware. Expecially for very cheap OLEDs, this hardware my not be present. As a consequence, the SSD1306 will not be visible for the I2C scanner. - It is not predictible whether the OLED module will work with 5V. It may work, but it may also not work. This is independent from what has been claimed by the ebay seller. - It is also not predictable whether the pullups are required or not. It seems that they are sometimes part of the OLED modules, but in some cases, they are required as external components. - Good news: I have never destroyed any OLEDs by applying 5V (but this is more a personal experience).

Conclusion: - If your OLED is not detected by the I2C scanner, this does not mean anything. It might be intended behavior. - You could use examples from U8glib to check if your OLED. U8glib should support all kinds of OLEDS (SH1106 and SSD1306, including those devices with are visible or invisible with the I2C scanner)

Oliver

Case resolved!

Been so bummed out about this apparently breaking, and as a last ditch effort, I pulled the dash off to check the connections (the screens connected in the dash of my car: picture below elaborates). It had a long wire on so I hadn’t considered that this could still have got pulled, but either way, I had a fiddle with the wires and it works again! Sods law that it’s something so trivial, but that’s always the way.

Thanks regardless to everyone who helped, if nothing else it’s helped me understand the subject better.

wood-gee:
Case resolved!

Been so bummed out about this apparently breaking, and as a last ditch effort, I pulled the dash off to check the connections (the screens connected in the dash of my car: picture below elaborates). It had a long wire on so I hadn’t considered that this could still have got pulled, but either way, I had a fiddle with the wires and it works again! Sods law that it’s something so trivial, but that’s always the way.

Thanks regardless to everyone who helped, if nothing else it’s helped me understand the subject better.

I had the same issue if you can reupload your image to underestand more … thanks