1.6.7 fails to install

Hello
I have been running 1.6.5 for a while now without too many problems
I thought it might be a good idea to update to 1.6.7
All this is running on Win7 Pro 64-bit.
I downloaded win installer 1.6.7 and ran it
So far so good, removed 1.6.5 files. Went past the "I agree" bit and after a partial progress, everything stopped and up came a box with something along the lines of a java error with retry, abort and ignore options. All this happened at a bad time so I don't have details of the error.
I decided the best option was to reinstall 1.6.5 - thank goodness these earlier versions are still available -and it looks as though that is running.
I have 1.6.7 running on another identical PC, but a windows rebuild messed up the libraries to that installation is used mainly for reference.
Apart from the usual Windows security updates which I did today, nothing has been altered in terms of the Arduino files and locations.
I am now extremely wary of moving on from 1.6.7 as I have projects on the go that need the IDE running every day,
Any suggestions please?
Thanks

Your post is confusing.

tigger:
Hello
I have been running 1.6.5 for a while now without too many problems
I thought it might be a good idea to update to 1.6.7
All this is running on Win7 Pro 64-bit.
I downloaded win installer 1.6.7 and ran it
So far so good, removed 1.6.5 files. Went past the "I agree" bit and after a partial progress, everything stopped and up came a box with something along the lines of a java error with retry, abort and ignore options. All this happened at a bad time so I don't have details of the error.

You say that you couldn't install 1.6.7..

I have 1.6.7 running on another identical PC, but a windows rebuild messed up the libraries to that installation is used mainly for reference.

Then you throw in this irrelevant info.

extremely wary of moving on from 1.6.7...

Then you say that you can't move on from 1.6.7?? Do you mean 1.6.5?

Anyway, there is no reason to use 1.6.7. Right now, 1.6.5 is the most stable. There are lots of bugs introduced in 1.6.6.

Oh dear
I thought I had explained things reasonably well.
I have 1.6.7 running on another PC, admittedly not very well due to the library problems, but at least the simple examples compile and run.
On the PC running 1.6.5, I did the usual course of downloading the Windows installer from the Arduino site, ran that and that's where the problems started.
Yes, 1.6.7 was a typing mistake and should have been 1.6.5, but "throw in irrelavant information"? Don't you ever make the occasional mistake?
Unfortunately, 1.6.7 doesn't come with a health warning, but judging by some of the problems expressed in the forum, maybe it should. It's a shame that some of us less knowledgable users have to find out the hard way.

I recommend 1.6.5r5 - there are a lot of issues with 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 still.

Arduino development team doesn't seem to be able to stop fiddling with things once they work. As soon as they fixed the last crop of bugs and released a usable IDE version, they decided to rip out the toolchain and replace it with one that didn't work on some computers and didn't compile some code that it used to be able to compile.

Like many organizations, they're unwilling to admit or recognize that a recent release was a lemon and pull it or direct users to the stable version.

Hello Azzy
Thanks for a sensible reply.
I am a self taught user of the Arduino project and rely heavily on other people's knowledge and a lot of cut and paste, but that's the way it is, that or nothing.
It's like going from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 and the never ending exhortations to go to 10. Or 4K HD. I should have known better.
I use OpenOffice 4.1.1 - will it upgrade to 4.1.2? will it hell - keeps telling me it's already installed. Free Eagle crashes. OpenOffice crashes. Firefox "not responding" - you get the drift
1.6.7 was announced with the usual razmataz and we low level users take it on board, follow the rules and it sh*ts on you.
So now, I have a half working 1.6.7 on one PC, and another that looks as if it is stuck on 1.6.5 and there are too many hours at stake to chance ever updating again. People braver than me talk about using Revo carniverous to get it to work, but having been through one Windows repair, no thanks.
All you get is some crappy error box that means nothing and that's it folks. If it was a commercial product, it wouldn't last five minutes, but that's the problem. Horribly complex, fragile Windows coupled with a well-meaning, but fragile IDE with files etc. all over the place.
I'm seriously thinking for starters using the IDE on Linux only. I could at least clear all the crap out and reload the OS. Or if there were the hours in the day, unlikely, ditch the Arduino IDE altogether.
I downloaded a Firmata add-on, recently - something to do with the "test" example, now I get nothing but but red line compile errors. If I get a clean compile and upload now, it's a good result.