1/72 Millennium Falcon

Hi, just after some advice. I am a scale model builder and am wanting to start my Falcon project, however i want to bring it to life with lights and sounds controlled by a remote. There are a lot of lights required and fibre optics would also be required. Could any of the arduino kits do this and fit inside the model and be hidden. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated thanks

Not sure I ever heard the size of the Millennium Falcon mentioned in the films.

So what is the actual size of the 1/72 model ?

srnet:

The Millennium Flacon us 34.37 meters long, so this makes it about .47 meters. This is a little over one foot.

Yep, you should be able to fit stuff in depending on internal clearance.

srnet:

Says it's 19" 1/72 Millennium Falcon

There's plenty of room to hide a Nano or mini in one of those. Doubt you'll need much more than that. Fiber optics would be good if you want to try to light up busy things like cockpits and such.

The clear blue lens for the lights on the engine will be nice to light up with PWM pulsing...
Can you drill through or use some sort of brass tubing to run fiber optics for the guns?

Is there a way to pump smoke out the bottom if you're doing a landed diorama?

For comparison HO Train sets are 1:87... so figures are slightly bigger for 1/72... but pretty compatible. HO gauge train stuff might help.

For sound effects, I recommend a DFplayer mini. And as big a speaker as you can get inside.

Question: do you need to fit batteries inside also, or can you conceal a pair of wires and have an external battery or power supply?

Hey Guys, thank you so much for getting back to me. Your advice is really appreciated.

The falcon will be mounted on an old coffee table and i would like an external and a battery source of power would be good as i would like to show it.

Never thought of smoke but that would be a really cool effect to have, would not have a clue where to start on that though.

Fibre would be the way ahead.

5V USB power may be an option for you. You can run it from an external phone charger or from a pocket power bank. But think about the current budget - what will the current draw be, with the highest number of LEDs that can be lit at once, plus sound effect playing at max volume, etc.

Smoke - search model railroad smoke generator - it's basically a heater that turns oil into smoke... be careful it gets hot...

power - Paul's got a good idea... 5V (usb and or power bank)

You can also install lithium ion (18650) using a TP4056 (charger) with a small boost convertor to convert to 5V. each unit about $1.50 out of China... then install some switches to turn on the unit and possibly to actuate the effects...

The LED's don't need much current - start low try them at 5-10 mA each then go up... you will not see much difference. For the PWM ones, it won't matter as much to keep them low.

Sounds like a fun project! Good luck and share pictures!

hello everyone if the topic is still relevant to you-do a similar project, "Falcon" from Bandai 1/72. I have an Arduino Mega and address LEDs WS2812B. all control by Bluetooth-link to the video, some effects have changed and added sound. it is not possible to install a servo to control the ladder. when the address tape is running, the servo moves at random until it stops.

Had I noticed the original thread, I would have pointed out that using 0603 (or 0402) SMD LEDs soldered to fine enamelled transformer wire would probably be more practical than fibre optics. :sunglasses:

These LEDs have now mostly replaced fibre optics in equipment; cheaper and much more efficient.

Rob936:
Hi, just after some advice. I am a scale model builder and am wanting to start my Falcon project, however i want to bring it to life with lights and sounds controlled by a remote. There are a lot of lights required and fibre optics would also be required. Could any of the arduino kits do this and fit inside the model and be hidden. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated thanks

LEGO makes tiny LED blocks so you can use some in some of the places.
you can get tiny LEDs with wires as well.
the fibre optics are great but you have to either light a bunch up at the same time with the same lamp, or use one LED to light one cable.
since the FO cables are so tiny, the lighting effect may not be as you expect.
LED's are the same way, might be too large, or too bright.
the Milenium Falcon is just screaming out for lights.
my boss assembled his last Christmas and is waiting for his son to knock it over before he adds lights.

Hi Rob

Keen to learn how you got on with this project.

I’m starting my learning and research for the millennium falcon deAgo model and looking to do similar things - also keen to know if you did add the smoke effect?