1 Wire Communication

Hey Everyone,

I am after some advice for an up and coming project I would like to try.

I will need to send data over existing mains (240v) cables for multiple Arduino to talk to each other but I am a little lost on how to achieve this in the best way. I have had two ideas already:

1. Power Line Carrier Module between all Arduino
  2. 1Wire communication through the earth core of the cables (with some sort of protection if there is a live to earth issue).

If anyone has done this before or know of any better way, any help would be much appreciated and i will share my work once it is complete for all.

Thanks in advance.

RF wireless is by far cheaper and easier. The ISM band (no license required) NRF24L01 high power version is good for 1000 meters outdoors. Cost is about $5 each. The low power units, good to 10-20 meters indoors, are $1 each.

What is the maximum distance between nodes and the data rates do you need?

1. 1Wire communication through the earth core of the cables (with some sort of protection if there is a live to earth issue).

I don't know where you're living but here in Switzerland this is not allowed. BTW, for 1Wire communication you need two wires: one for the signal (also power supply) and one for GND.

You know that 240VAC may be lethal, don't you?

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies.

I am only looking at cabled to avoid interference with mobile phones and any other RF frequencies flying around, as I would need a rock-solid connection between each Arduino.

I think powerline might be the best answer if the RF doesn't have a "hand shake" facility to lock the connection.