1-wire protocol and multiple eeproms

Hello I am new to the 1-wire protocol and ordered a few eeproms to test once it arrives. My goal is to get the location and the data of the eeprom. To get the location I was thinking of using different GPIO pins for different eeproms. Eeproms can be moved from one GPIO to another but the GPIO wires will stay stationary. So is it possible to use multiple GPIO's to read different eeproms using 1-wire?

If Yes

• Is there a limit on the length of the GPIO wire?
  • Will it hurt the eeprom if the eeprom is removed while the Arduino was in the middle of communicating with it?(data will always be read never written)

Devices that use the 1-wire protocol all have a unique ID, so they can all be connected using one wire (plus ground).

You need to read out and then later use the unique ID address to address each individual device.

(1) of course there is a limit to the length of the wiring. The shorter the better.

(2) it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen if you disconnect the device during an operation, but the device will probably not be damaged.

(data will always be read never written)

If you never write data to the EEPROM, what is the point of using it?

jremington:
Devices that use the 1-wire protocol all have a unique ID, so they can all be connected using one wire (plus ground).

You need to read out and then later use the unique ID address to address each individual device.

(1) of course there is a limit to the length of the wiring. The shorter the better.

(2) it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen if you disconnect the device during an operation, but the device will probably not be damaged.

If you never write data to the EEPROM, what is the point of using it?

Thank you for the quickly answering my questions. So the 1-wire protocol is not locked down to a single GPIO. To clarify the EEPROM is written once but the only time there will be uncontrollable risk of the EEPROM being removed is when data is being read.