101 board core does not get windows driver installed

hello,
I have trouble finding USB driver of 101 board, document said loading the 101 board core using board manager will install divers automatically but it did NOT happen (1.05 or 1.04 core with 1.6.8 IDE) -- was an old version worked for you guys? Any tricks to work around?

Details: There are 2 devices marked "yellow" in the WIN XP device manager (both named ARDUINO 101) that "found new hardware" wizard could not find a suitable driver to install. The USB virtual part was COM3 for 101 board, but the IDE only shows COM1 to choose from.

My posting in the troubleshooting forum did not get an answer for a week+, Pleeeeeeeeease help.

XJ

Can you try manually installing the drivers. They are in
<arduino15_folder>\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18\drivers

I’m not sure where the arduino15 folder is on WinXP. The above path assumes you have Arduino101 1.0.5 package installed. For 1.0.4, the path contains “sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14” instead of “arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18”.

Brian

Hi, Brian,
Thank you for your reply to my two postings. I used win XP search feature to find the path, but cannot find a folder shown in the path you gave. what OS do you use? Your path has arduino15 in it, did you use an IDE with a version number 15 when your driver was able to install? Can you zip the drivers folder and upload it somewhere for me to download?

Many thanks!

Xin

I think it’s in:
C:\Documents and Settings<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\

[re-edited text]
I did find the paths:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14\drivers (for 1.04 core)

or

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18\drivers (for 1.05 core)

but manual install from there still failed for the 2 devices shown in the device manager i\under name "Arduino 101".

The IDE showed COM port # still does not match the virtual COM port #.

What was the error or how did the driver install fail?
Brian

The find new hardware wizard could not find proper driver, even specifying the path

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18\drivers

I have posted a bug report, a reply asked me to run a post_install.bat but still not successful.

WIN XP SP3 did not work, but WIN 7 worked. XP should be documented as unsupported.

Hi again.
Can you try running:
"C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14\drivers\dpinst-x86.exe"

I assume you're on a 32-bit system.

It comes back with error message, "install failed"

Hi. I was able to get the latest drivers to install on Windows XP SP3 but it was a two-step manual process: using the included “dpinst” utility and Windows Hardware Wizard.

I opened a command window and went to “C:\Documents and Settings**\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18\drivers”
and ran:
dpinst-x86.exe /lm /sa /sw /se /f /path .

If the hardware Wizard comes up, have it “install from a specific location”:
C:\Documents and Settings**\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arduino101load\1.6.4+1.18\drivers

Reset the board to make sure Windows loads the drivers for the Arduino/Genuino 101 devices - you may have to go through Hardware Wizard one more time.

Can you try this and see if it works for you?

Brian

Yes, eventually successful in using the method!!! Thank you, Brian!

The process seems still tricky, I cannot remember the exact sequence that led to the success, but it seems I had to run the command line while the board was not connected to the USB, and then connect it to see the wizard to appear, and install one driver, disconnect, and repeat the command line, connect, ... and do this multiple times.