10km transceiver through trees and buildings

G'day all, I'm doing a home automation project which I need to control from my car. My work is a bit under 10km (in a straight line) through lots of trees and buildings. I cannot use gsm as the networks tend to drop out a lot. Does anyone know an affordable solution using arduino and rf?

http://www.digi.com/pdf/ds_xbeepro900hp.pdf Maybe this can help? Good comunication

This website has numerous RF modules. Regardless of which one you select, plan on a high gain directional antenna at the home location aimed at the work site.

I'm doing a home automation project which I need to control from my car

I hope not while still driving :D :D :D

My work is a bit under 10km (in a straight line) through lots of trees and buildings

That distance is a piece of cake for a wireless link 2.4 Ghz ou 5Ghz frequency, BUT theses words " through lots of trees and buildings" are your nightmare.If you don't have eye of site between the two points you could just forget it.Sorry it is just the reality I think you best beat is the a 3G,4G or gprs connection ...

Can you place repeaters? or as HugoPT mentioned, investing in a 3G link would be better. Maybe use an external antenna/amplifier to improve the GSM signal.

No LOS ( line of sight ), 10 km, and one of the receiver placed in a motion vehicle ... I think you will not be able to manage it.

I cannot use gsm as the networks tend to drop out a lot

Get an GSM antenna amplifier, as mentioned by musskopf.