110/220V to 72V Power Supply in Parallel? (formerly HV...)

I have a linear unregulated power supply, toroidal transformer that has two sets of primary and secondary windings, so it can be wired input for 110 or 220. The output side has independent rectifiers, each 72V and 10A. I would like to connect them together to get 20A.

Can I do this? Would I need diodes to prevent the current from running into the weaker side?

This is the supply (different than the picture since it has two output sections, but otherwise the same):
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=400

I want to power 3 steppers with Gecko 203V drives.

Measure the voltage on the secondaries without any load. If they are within 0,5V of each other, sure you can parallel them.

// Per.

For the future, C2 - when you post something with the acronym "HV" - you are meaning "High Voltage" - which for most people in electronics generally translates into anything at 1000 volts or greater (ie - microwave and neon sign transformers, tesla coils, etc).

Your transformer is -not- an HV transformer.

Given your title, I was expecting a completely different question from what was posted, simply because of the term you used; if you continue to use such a term incorrectly, you may cause similar confusion to others in both this and other forums.

cr0sh:
For the future, C2 - when you post something with the acronym "HV" - you are meaning "High Voltage" - which for most people in electronics generally translates into anything at 1000 volts or greater (ie - microwave and neon sign transformers, tesla coils, etc).

Cr0sh, I agree 100 %

// Per.

OK, thanks. I was concerned about loops under loads. Also, do these supplies need to be regulated for the motor drives?

Thanks for info on voltage ranges. I guess I've been reading too much about, and labeling of, the high vs low voltage sections (i.e., 220V vs the 5V logic) of the system.

C2:
Thanks for info on voltage ranges. I guess I've been reading too much about, and labeling of, the high vs low voltage sections (i.e., 220V vs the 5V logic) of the system.

Better terminology would be "AC mains voltage" vs "DC logic voltage" - or something similar.