12 DC motors 11k help?

I have four 12v DC motors, I want to build a bot. the problem is i know nothing about the motors, except that they take 12v and say 11k on them. i got them out of a junked 1999 Toyota Cressida. i hooked up a good battery to the car before i took out the motors, and all four windows went up and down, i want to mount them to a frame, i need to know more on the motors so i can build the correct H-bridge and chain sprocket system and wight ratio. How do i Find out more info on the DC motors? (cant find specs or data sheets!)

Before you do as Richard suggests (and you do need to do what Richard suggests), make sure your meter will actually measure the amperage that will be drawn by the motors. Plan on being able to measure 10 amps, just to be safe.

You will get a very rough idea of the locked current by measuring the resistance of the winding and applying Ohm's Law.

Also don't 'lock' the motors for long, or you may burn them out.

Also don't 'lock' the motors for long, or you may burn them out.

I would also suggest opening them up (if possible), and taking a look at what kind of gear train is being used. If any of the gears are plastic (and especially if there are plastic and metal gears used together), you will need to keep this in mind. I've had (expensive) all-metal gear motors that had so much torque they busted teeth off the gears involved under a heavy load.

Also - don't hook the wheels of the robot directly up to your motors (unless your robot will be very lightweight); most of these kinds of motors don't have the bearings needed to support such loads, and will quickly ruin the motors over time. Instead, attach your wheels to a separate supported axle, using some form of radial ball-or-roller bearing, then drive the axle with the motor either via a compliant spider coupling (or use a piece of rubber hose and some hose clamps) or a chain/gear drive.

Kind of drifting away from the original post now, but a great low cost source of high torque geared motors is a cheap £5 ($7) electric screw-driver.

You can even have quick change wheels by fixing the wheels to the screw-driver bits. Obviously you cut off the back of the screwdrivers where the batteries go.

The ones I used (Duratool http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00399/6v-cordless-screwdriver/dp/TL11211?in_merch=Featured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001) have seriously strong bearings and gears!

They do draw 2 or 3 amps on load though!

thats grate but i want to a least carry 50lbs like a mini fridge

I have my first post is just that. All i know about them, i need the forums help to find out the other info

Yes your correct they are just that car window motors they have a gearbox and a gear ratio (i do not know the ratio ) and take 12v DC with a 30 amp fuse.

Just a thought, won't these motors be limited in torque for safety reasons?, I mean you don't want to chop a kiddies head off.

They have clutches built in to prevent that sort of thing. But the motors generate plenty of torque. Some dis-assembly may be required to get to the high-torque side of the clutch.