12 volt to 5 volt

Hi Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm looking for a Arduino compatible pre-made circuit that converts 12 volts to 5 volts. I some lights and a ceiling fan that I would like to add to SmartThings. So that I can run them through Google home or Alexa. Basically my circuit will need to be powered by 12 volts then use 5 volts so that I can control it with an Arduino.

Voltage criteria is import but so is current. What load current do you require?

For a 12 to 5v converter, there are a great many SMPS PCBs offerings on ebay, Pololu etc.

Search for a buck converter.

Have you searched this site for previous discussions?

Yes I have but no luck. Could you all please link me to one. Up to 20 amps

Your 12V power supply provides 20 amps?

bob5731: Up to 20 amps

Link to what?

bob5731: Could you all please link me to one.

Google is your friend.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=buck+converter&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbuck+converter+20a.TRS0&_nkw=buck+converter+20a&_sacat=0

Just be real careful with what you’re doing here. Sounds like relatively high current you’re going to be dealing with… unless you’re not really going to be using that much current.

Try with a npn transistor, actually i'm working my boards from 13V to 5V, make the circuit configuration and that's all. I'm using tip31c.

Are your lights and ceiling fan 12V or mains?

I would just run the arduino from the 12V supply and use a 5V relay board to switch the loads.

A 5V Arduino can easily control 12V systems. Various options, relays are just one of them.

It sounds like you want to have your lights and so run at 5V as well, not likely that's going to work (even so you may have to upgrade your wires to allow for the 2.4 times higher current)

bob5731: ... Up to 20 amps

Again your power supply provides 20 amps?

Those cables are big.

Hi, Why do you need 20A at 5V for your controller?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

Christian_Salazar: Try with a npn transistor, actually i'm working my boards from 13V to 5V, make the circuit configuration and that's all. I'm using tip31c.

OP is asking for 12volt>5volt@20Amp.

A TIP31 would end up in siliconheaven in microseconds if it had to dissipate (12-5)*20= 140watt. Leo..

Most mutimeters can't read 20 amps.

And if your thinking about resisstors to lessen the current get a resisstor that can dissapate 140 watts.

You could probably heat a whole house with that heat.

They are probably the thickness of your waist.

Thanks to @Wawa for the calculations.

I'm gonna guess that the 20 amps number came from the circuit the fan and lights are on has a 20 amp circuit breaker.