12V 50Amp Power Supply for Quadcopter

This is my first post in forum.arduino.cc. I have searched google for my query but so far I haven't found a satisfying solution.

I have made a quadcopter and am experimenting different configurations on it. The copter has 4 x A2212 13T 1000Kv motors controlled by 30a ESCs.

The copter has been working fine on LiPo battery. But changing and charging batteries every few minutes has become very frustrating for me. Therefore I want a power supply for bench testing the copter.

I have my eye on this power supply shown here Excellway® AC 115-230V to DC 12V 50A 600W Switching Power Supply Driver For LED Strip Light Sale - Banggood Mobile-arrival notice. It is a 600W (12v - 50a) power supply.

The max current rating for the motors is 13A. That makes a total of 52A. This is a little over 50A. Given that I do not push the motors to max throttle, will this power supply be adequate for my purpose. If yes, what additional precautions i should have in mind?

This is the link to my motors https://m.banggood.com/1000KV-Brushless-Motor-3_17mm-Shaft-Electric-Motor-p-1102054.html?rmmds=search

And this is the link to my ESCs

Also please note that Arduino is being powered by a different source.

Thanks.

HussainNiazi:
I have my eye on this power supply shown here Excellway® AC 115-230V to DC 12V 50A 600W Switching Power Supply Driver For LED Strip Light Sale - Banggood Mobile-arrival notice. It is a 600W (12v - 50a) power supply.

Beware, Chinese power supplies may supply 12 volts and may supply 50 amps, but not both at the same time.

Paul

You are better off with a PC ATX powersupply. You can pick them for free on the scrapyard (or pay sume bucks for a new one).

Paul_KD7HB:
Chinese power supplies may supply 12 volts and may supply 50 amps, but not both at the same time.

This!

zwieblum:
You are better off with a PC ATX powersupply.

And also this, but you need something very powerful. You'll need something near 1000W ATX, imho. This could have enough juice to manage your 4 ESCs for a reasonably long time (not only peak power). Look at the 12V channels ampere capability and try to have a 30% margin at least. The ESCs and the motors can draw A LOT of current for a short time. That's usual and reasonable for a big-enough lipo, not for a little-current-margin ATX.

One BIG question: how far will the PSU be from the quad? Beside the PSU's raw power, one big issue is the cable section. For 50+ A you'd need at least AWG6 silicone wires. AWG6 are quite difficult to find but you can use multiple strands of smaller wires. Keep in mind that the AWG rule is that an increment of 3 in AWG numbers represents a halving of the cross-sectional area of a wire. The current capacity is directly related to that area. This means that to create the equivalent of a wire of AWG(N), you need two strands of AWG(N+3), or three strands of AWG(N+5). In your case: two strands of AWG9 or three strands of AWG11. Three strands of AWG10 are a reasonable safety margin, plus the fact that multiple wires can disspate heat better than a single big thick wire.
With 1m of the linked cable i'd estimate an heat dissipation of 10W, not something that could be negleted.
With longer cables the things are worse, and you'll have also a voltage drop to take into the equation.

Actually, with the linked PSU, you could use 4 separate AWG14 wire couples, each connected to the four different 12V PSU channels. ::slight_smile:

Thanks a lot guys. I just realized I have a CoolerMaster 1300w PC power supply at home. Will try to convert it into bench test supply unit. There are many tutorials available on youtube. @daysleeper, good heads up on the wires. Will be ordering some AWG10.

Be aware that ESCs can pull enormous currents, don't be surprized if you have underestimated the max current demand.

Cant see why you need the motors connected for extended bench testing , then you can run much longer on your Lipo .

A quad copter will blow everything in your room all over place and chop your fingers off

hammy:
Cant see why you need the motors connected for extended bench testing

neither do i, but i guess: efficiency or pid test?

hammy:
A quad copter will blow everything in your room all over place and chop your fingers off

Who talked about "room" and reckless tests?
The OP apparently managed to do the same tasks avoiding these issues, now the only difference is using an ATX instead of a lipo.

Oh, giving a long enough cable he could hoover over his neighbours for hours and watch … well, whaterver there is to watch …

zwieblum:
Oh, giving a long enough cable he could hoover over his neighbours for hours and watch ... well, whaterver there is to watch ...

Did you ever tried to make a quad hoovering at -say- 10m, with the power supply on the ground, @12V?
I doubt it could work: long "battery" cables means a lot of issues, there's a significant voltage drop, you add a lot of weight and we are talking about 13A motors... ::slight_smile:

There was an electric helicopter from Graupner in the 80’s, that had a 5m cable for powersupply. You hocked the cable to your cars battery and off you went …

::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

daysleeper:
you add a lot of weight

I guess i forgot that you also remove the main battery so the weight balance is not that bad.

zwieblum:
There was an electric helicopter from Graupner in the 80's, that had a 5m cable for powersupply. You hocked the cable to your cars battery and off you went ..

OK, few meters, with a heli, is more reasonable (helis are more efficient).
Afaik the main issue of the tethered drones is the high-voltage (ususally AC) power transmission, which requires additional electronics on board, but it's the only way to achieve more than few meters.