12V door strike and the 5V arduino uno

Hi

I have a problem with my 12V door strike, I can nor wire it directly to my arduino, and I don’t have much knowledge regard electricity.
can you please help me of how can I wire 12V door strike to my arduino, what should I use, relay or transformer? and which product would you suggest

thank you

Hi

I have a problem with my 12V door strike, I can nor wire it directly to my arduino, and I don't have much knowledge regard electricity. can you please help me of how can I wire 12V door strike to my arduino, what should I use, relay or transformer? and which product would you suggest

thank you

A relay would probably be the easiest way. Control the relay with the Arduino and wire the 12V circuit to the relay contacts. All very visible and obvious and does not involve any electronic "black magic".

As to which relay to use, Ebay is your friend. Search for Arduino relay. Your requirements are modest and no mains wiring is involved so it is easy and safe to wire it up. How much current does the door strike take ?

Best use a relay to isolate the arduino from the 12V circuit. You can use one of these arduino relay-modules that you can find everywhere on the internet (Google "Arduino relay module". A single relay is sufficient).

For the 12V you need to look for a 12V power supply (SELV or NEC CLASS 2 for safety reasons). For this have to look how much current/power your door strike needs. 1A or 10W should be sufficient, maybe also less.

Then you connect the normally open working contact of the relay with the 12V on the one side and with the door strike on the other side. The minus of the door strike goes to the minus (ground) of the 12V power supply. This should do it.

this is the information about the door strike:

Technical Information: Operating Modes : NO Fail Secure (open when powered) Voltage : DC 12V Current : 200mA ~ 450mA

That sounds like a very modest requirement and should be easily controlled by a fairly modest relay.

Please do not cross-post. This wastes time and resources as people attempt to answer your question on multiple threads.

Threads merged.