12v Power Supply

I was wondering what the best 12v power supply would be for portable projects. It will need to deliver about an amp.

There are thousands of 12v 1A supplies around.

As long as it is switch mode, any reasonable brand/supplier will do.

Weedpharma

I realize there are tons out there but I can't find one that is light weight.

A universal voltage switch mode supply is light weight.
Old transformer based ones were heavy.

A 12volt/1A plug-pack (wall-wart) should not be significantly bigger than a phone charger plug-in supply.
Leo…

Or 12 V 2 A even.

A "wall wart" or "plug pack".

I think you misunderstood me because I was too vague (my bad). I am looking for a battery, not a wall adapter.

Ok, how long does it need to supply 1A?

Weedpharma

About 30 minutes

Give some information on the project you have in mind.

You could use 8 alkaline batteries to give 12 volts. Start with AA size and get bigger if required. 2x 4 way battery holders could be used.

Weedpharma

I'm thinking of LI-ION/POs, the only problem is they tend to be 3.7 at 5oomA so it would take a few to get it up to 12V at 1 A.

PrescottJoule:
I’m thinking of LI-ION/POs, the only problem is they tend to be 3.7 at 5oomA so it would take a few to get it up to 12V at 1 A.

The usual way of rating these batteries is in mAh not mA. So if you want 1 A for about 30 minutes a 500 mAh battery will do.

Do you need exactly 12 V? Would three batteries in series giving 11.1 V do?

Russell.

Look for gel cell batteries

PrescottJoule: I'm thinking of LI-ION/POs, the only problem is they tend to be 3.7 at 5oomA so it would take a few to get it up to 12V at 1 A.

LiPoly battery packs (used in RC) come in multiples of 3.7v, so to get your 12v, you need a 4S lipo, which is 3.7x4 = 14.8v. They are packed in series then in parallel to get as much mah as you need. It may still be heavy, but I don't think you can get anything that is lighter weight than this.

go to hobbyking.com and look up li-poly batteries. 1000mah, 105grams for $8.51 should be good for half hour. 4S1P battery

A 3S (3-cell) 2200 mAh LIPO battery measures 12.54V fully charged and almost any 3S that you buy today is at least 25C and some are more than 45C

(1 "C" = 2200mA for 1 hour) 2C = 4400mA for 0.5 hr 4C = 8800 mA for 0.25 hour 8C = 17,600 mA for 0.125 hour (7.5 min) 16 C = 35,200 mA for 0.0625 hour (3.5 min) etc. etc.

Thanks for the clarification, sadly where I live the "hobby" stores are very limited in their knowledge and it is hard to find what you want :(

sadly where I live the "hobby" stores are very limited in their knowledge and it is hard to find what you want :(

Do you live in a city with no Jamba Juice ? ;D

Of course we have Jamba Juice!