12v wall adapter......12v output or 5v still?

Hi
I am currently working on my first project powering a 12v device. If I power my Arduino by a 12v (wall wart says it's OUTPUT:12V-1A) plugged in the Vin and GND.....is my output going to be 12v....I am using digitalWrite for pin 12?. It is lighting a 12vdc lamp ....but i think it looks dim. Without running out to buy a tester (I know I need one) can any one help??

After Vin is a 5V regulator, providing 5V to the rest of the board. I/O pins will max out at 5V.

Does your lamp require more than 40mA to work? And did you remember to set the pin to OUTPUT with pinMode()?

ya lamp works....but its dim.....so its not getting the full 12v?.....so do I need a breadboard?

jmkallday:
ya lamp works....but its dim.....so its not getting the full 12v?.....so do I need a breadboard?

Of course it isn't getting the full 12V. You probably want to use a transistor to drive your lamp. I very much doubt it draws less than 40mA. If it draws more than 40mA it will destroy the I/O pin.

Sorry I am really new to this and so it sounds like I am going to need a board and a few other parts to get my desired result. Thanks for the tip I do not want to destroy my board as i just got it today! I think it is more like 12v/220 mA on an electric strike. I just started so I am using the light for a test.

Hi jmkallday, I think what you need is a relay for the full 12v you want... If you can configure the relay connection it will work.. Here is the attachment to the relay connection. List of items you need:

1. A breadboard
  2. 5/6v relay
  3. A diode 1N4001/2/3/7
  4. A switching transistor 2n222a