130v AC as digital input

well actually I have several machines. most of them has green,yellow and red lights on them to show their status but some of them has only one light, if it's working it turns on light continuously, if it is stopped bulb starts blinking. I ordered a whole box of relays, adapters and optocouplers and going to try to detect standart continuously glowing bulbs but I'd like to have an idea before working on the machines that has only one bulb (which blinks when machine is not working) on them. I'll update my other post as soon as I reliably detect always turned on bulbs.

Having the same basic question in multiple threads irritates many helpers here and can earn you a "vacation" from being able to post

That said

Looking at the light might work until it burned out - so my experience says relays or opto-couplers/isolators - - I used to use relays - simple and reliable if you get industrial rated stuff

NOTE: it sounds like you are in industrial enclosures which means stray inductive voltage can be picked up in your wires to the Arduino - one application we were using Neon lights to show the status of emergency stop switches and the wires running in the buss way would pickup enough stray voltage to light the neon bulbs (about 80 VAC or so I think) - low current but enough I would be concerned and 80 VAC to the input of the Arduino would probably be bad news - so you need to be aware of the potential for problems

Topics on the same subject moved to a common forum section and merged

Cross-posting is against the rules of the forum. The reason is that duplicate posts can waste the time of the people trying to help. Someone might spend 15 minutes (or more) writing a detailed answer on this topic, without knowing that someone else already did the same in the other topic.

Repeated cross-posting will result in a timeout from the forum.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum board that best suits the topic of your question and then only post once to that forum board. This is basic forum etiquette, as explained in the sticky "How to use this forum - please read." post you will find at the top of every forum board. It contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Unscrew the lanp
Install an extender with outlets.
Screw in the lamp
Plug a phone charger in the extender.
Legal and safe 5v susupply

dave-in-nj:
Unscrew the lanp
Install an extender with outlets.
Screw in the lamp
Plug a phone charger in the extender.
Legal and safe 5v susupply

5v safe perhaps but in many countries all outlets must be provided with an earth pin so not necessarily legal.

Maybe your machine has a snubber circuit across its on/off control contacts to protect them. When the machine is off, the snubber current passes energy to the pilot light's LED or neon circuit causing the bulb to flicker when switched off.

This could be difficult to detect with an opto-isolator as it may always detect the AC signal even while the bulb flickers, unless the opto circuit is designed or calibrated to work with your system.

More details would help ... snubber circuit?, contactor?, pilot light?, machine? ... links/datasheets/part#s/pictures?

UKHeliBob:
Topics on the same subject moved to a common forum section and merged

Cross-posting is against the rules of the forum. The reason is that duplicate posts can waste the time of the people trying to help. Someone might spend 15 minutes (or more) writing a detailed answer on this topic, without knowing that someone else already did the same in the other topic.

Repeated cross-posting will result in a timeout from the forum.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum board that best suits the topic of your question and then only post once to that forum board. This is basic forum etiquette, as explained in the sticky "How to use this forum - please read." post you will find at the top of every forum board. It contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

sorry for that. my previous question is about how to get signal from a high voltage lamp but the other is about how to determine a blinking led (more of a programming question rather than electronics).

Hello,
I think if you really want to go the reliable way, you need to measure the current that goes to the lamp.
Devices exists, they are called current transformers, they transform the current of a few A to a few mA.
They are insulated so they are safe. The only thing you need to watch out for: they need to be closed loop or they fail, so they cannot sustain open clamps. Voltage transformer: open clamps = no problem, current transformer closed clamps = no problem. Look at the literature in case of doubt.
I suggest you use one of them, put a 2 diodes and a resistor after it with a capacitor and measure what comes out of it. If the lamp fails, current is 0 and you know what to do.

5Pcs 5A Range Single-phase AC Current Transformer Current Sensor Modul – Dennisdeal.com

Best regards,
Johi.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.