16 ft extensions

for 5v analog inputs...what are things needed to be taken into consideration here? I assume bigger gauge than my sensor wires? anything else?

That small of a range should not be a problem but what gauge of wire are you using and what is the total length?

Bad_Samiritan:
for 5v analog inputs...what are things needed to be taken into consideration here?
I assume bigger gauge than my sensor wires? anything else?

Resistance, capacitance, inductance, and maybe more.
Never assume. A wire the thickness of a hair could be enough to power a house.

Tell us more about the "sensors" (type, distance, data rate, etc.), so we can give a meaningful answer.
Leo..

Bad_Samiritan:
for 5v analog inputs...what are things needed to be taken into consideration here? I assume bigger gauge than my sensor wires? anything else?

For signals you don't need a bigger guage because the cable run is longer, you need to understand
noise, EMI, signal bandwidth.

Details please, "sensor wires" tells nothing about your actual sensors, their current draw, output bandwidth
or impedance....

Soil moisture sensor wires

Wires by themselves are not a moisture sensor.

MarkT:
Wires by themselves are not a moisture sensor.

Two bare wires inserted into the dirt being used as a moisture sensor - Simple Moisture Meter using 2N2222 | ElecCircuit.com

If this is too basic- piss off, i dont need your smart ass mouth. I try to be polite, but this is a basic ass question. If you dont have the answer- dont post. Its basic.

I'm extending vcc/ground/AO wires OFF THE SENSOR so the board doesnt have to be 5 inches from the read location...was that not clear? "extension for sensor wires"

Flexing on basic shit... I thought the corvette forums were arrogant lol

Anywho, shielded Ethernet wire is the direction im heading. 8 wires 1 run, I like it.

Bad_Samiritan:
Two bare wires inserted into the dirt being used as a moisture sensor - Simple Moisture Meter using 2N2222 | ElecCircuit.com

If this is too basic- piss off, i dont need your smart ass mouth. I try to be polite, but this is a basic ass question. If you dont have the answer- dont post. Its basic.

I'm extending vcc/ground/AO wires OFF THE SENSOR so the board doesnt have to be 5 inches from the read location...was that not clear? "extension for sensor wires"

Flexing on basic shit... I thought the corvette forums were arrogant lol

Rather than be completely rude, listen again to my point. Wires by themselves are not a moisure sensor,
that link has a complete circuit involving a transistor acting to convert moisture level to voltage, and its the properties like source-impedance really matter to the answer to your original question.

Lots of people turn up here and ask questions without providing anything like enough information to enable
an answer, so there are various sticky threads explaining how to post in a way that provides enough information.

Your arrogance was not to take any notice of the "how to post" sticky threads. My arrogance apparently
was to point out that your answer to the question:

Details please, "sensor wires" tells nothing about your actual sensors, their current draw, output bandwidth
or impedance....

namely:

Soil moisture sensor wires

Wasn't a sufficient answer to my question.

Which is not arrogance, its valid criticism

Now that I understand your sensor circuit, no you cannot easily have 16 foot long leads to that circuit,
it will readily pick up far too much interference as one wire runs straight into the base of the transistor
where noise is immediately amplified.

You might get away with using shield twisted pair or coax, but a much better way is to have that
circuit at the probes, and run leads back where the ammeter is to remote-sense that. A 2k impedance
is much more plausible to keep noise pickup under control.

Or you could run 3 wires back, battery +/- and one from the bottom of R2 to sense the voltage across
R2. That allows remote power which seems more sensible.

These people are trying to help you, and you are cursing at them. Not a good way to get help. But with the username like "Bad_Samiritan", I should have guessed it would be a problem. This board is used by all ages, including young children. We do not need profanity being used on the board. "Wires by themselves are not a moisture sensor." He is correct. And it is a reasonable response to the lack of information given. There is a lot more to electronics than just sticking to wires together, And without a lot more information we can only guess at what you need. you can get more help by being civil. Otherwise please feel free to go somewhere else.

promacjoe2:
These people are trying to help you, and you are cursing at them. Not a good way to get help. But with the username like "Bad_Samiritan", I should have guessed it would be a problem. This board is used by all ages, including young children. We do not need profanity being used on the board. "Wires by themselves are not a moisture sensor." He is correct. And it is a reasonable response to the lack of information given. There is a lot more to electronics than just sticking to wires together, And without a lot more information we can only guess at what you need. you can get more help by being civil. Otherwise please feel free to go somewhere else.

lol

the 16 ft shielded Ethernet cable worked like a charm by the way.

Also, Civility is only returned if its given, if arrogance is given- arrogance will be returned. I'm not here to teach you manors

MarkT:
Or you could run 3 wires back, battery +/- and one from the bottom of R2 to sense the voltage across
R2. That allows remote power which seems more sensible.

Thank you for the advanced option.

Bad_Samiritan:
lol

the 16 ft shielded Ethernet cable worked like a charm by the way.

Also, Civility is only returned if its given, if arrogance is given- arrogance will be returned. I’m not here to teach you manors

CAT5 cable is not shielded, it consists of 8 wires (4 twisted pairs). However CAT6 cable is shielded, But very expensive.

As far as civility goes, no one was cursing at you. They were trying to understand your problem. and you started cursing at them. there were only four replies, and in my opinion not one of them was unreasonable. If you don’t like someone’s answer, Ignore it. But don’t get mad, it doesn’t help.

With enough good information, We can solve most any problem, but without it, we are just guessing.

And remember, Any help you get on this board is voluntary. No one is required to help you. And that’s the way it is with most bulletin boards. this community as well as many others do this out of the goodness of their heart. To share information with others and help teach them. But they do not have to help you.