16U2

Hi, Is the firmware of the 16U2 chip an arduino-special one or is it a standard one, which can be found also on other platforms?

Hi

The 16U2 on the Uno or Mega is used to support the USB interface on that board. The firmware on it can be flashed to change the personality of the board though, for example to make the Uno act as a USB HID device, or for MIDI.

I'm not certain what you mean by 'standard' or 'special'. But it's certainly a customised firmware to do that job. More information can be found at this page.

Hope that helps you find what you're looking for, Geoff

i want to use the usb port in the same way it is normally used - as a bridge between usb and the main processor of my arduino, but i want to do so without using the arduino ide, also with a different bootloader. therfore i thought, i would need a different firmware ont the 16U2, too. am i right?

strykeroz: I'm not certain what you mean by 'standard' or 'special'. But it's certainly a customised firmware to do that job.

Why are you going to all this effort - what's your goal?

What the heck? I’m sure I wrote a reply to this.

All the 16u2 does in the Uno/Mega is act as a USB<->serial converter. If you want to do this on another board, you could use the same firmware that the Uno uses, and it would work. It doesn’t care (and can’t even tell) what’s on the other end of the serial line… However, your computer will think it’s an uno (or mega, or whatever you used the firmware for). You can still tell the Arduino IDE to treat it like a different board though.

You could also use an FT232, or the insanely-cheap CH340G (which works beautifully, by the way - the installer for the drivers doesn’t inspire confidence, but it works great). Both are cheaper than the 16u2, easier to wire up, and do not need to be programmed. (I’ve heard Atmel gave Arduino a sweetheart deal on the 16u2’s, and that’s why they used them)