16x2 LCD showing 16 blocks.No characters displayed.

I believe there is something wrong with my connection for Vo. I dont have a pot. I have grounded Vo direclty and also tried putting up 1K resistor to ground but none has worked.

Rest of the wiring is just according to 16x2 tutorial on this site.

I dont know what's wrong.

Vo is working just fine according to that description.

You are not "talking" to the display, so it is not even being initialised. It must be initialised before anything at all can be displayed.

The problem is in some connection other than Vo and/ or your code does not match your connections. Check that pin 5 - RW - is grounded.

Hi.

You wired it wrong and it isn’t the missing potmeter.
You don’t need to do a forum search for “blocks” to find more topics on this.
There’s at least a topic on every single index page of this “display” forum.

post a photo of your connections. you would not be the first that tried to count backwards to determine what pins are to be connected.

post a photo of your connections

My crystal ball says that he has an LCD with the pins in the lower left segment of the pc board. . . .

Don

Question is - will he come back and answer the standard questions (Photo, code etc.)?

Question is - will he come back and answer the standard questions (Photo, code etc.)?

Well he did come back, but not to this thread. You even answered him. --> http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=280735.0

Don

floresta:
Well he did come back, but not to this thread. You even answered him.

Oh yes, I am well aware of that. I am quite used to these "one-hit wonders" by now and automatically verify their other "contributions".

Four posts, four different questions over a couple of days to two topic boards, no follow-up to any of them. That was my point precisely.

I am not going to be one of those "one hit wonders"!! :wink:

I put on hold the 16x2 LCD thing because I think I have a short on the connection points. I tried the Hello World so there is no question of the code being wrong. The LCD I am using says "JHD 162A". I have run this LCD absolutely fine in past about 3 months back even with a self written scrolling text function.

I need this LCD working with the Pro mini and put the duo inside a power inverter to display the battery voltage and state of the device.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

Cheers.